Is there anyone here who didn't get their child's hair cut for the first time until they were older than 2?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter got her first hair cut at 2 1/2. She didn't get hair until she was almost 2, so there was no need before that.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I did not get my dd hair cut until she was almost 2 1/2. I trimmed her bangs myself to keep it out of her face. Then I decided to grow her bangs out. Her hair is naturally curly, so it stayed pretty short.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My daughter didn't get her first hair cut until she was like 4 1/2, almost 5. Before that she really didn't need it. It was curly and barely touched her shoulders until after she turned 3. Before that I trimmed her bangs a few times but even that didn't start until after she turned 2 (before that her bangs weren't long enough to be in her eyes).
    My middle daughter got her first haircut at 4, I think. Before that she had never even had it trimmed because I let her bangs grow out and the only reason we had it cut that time was because her sister was getting a hair cut and she really wanted one and the back was all uneven.
    Actually my youngest daughter got her first haircut at 2 1/2, so I guess none of my girls had their hair cut before 2. My son had his first cut at 17 months because my husband said he was starting to look like a boy. Now he's 8 and grows it out like that on purpose.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My daughter is 19 months old and hasn't had a hair cut. Her hair was already about 2 inches long when she was born. Now it is half way down her back. I never cut bangs for her, because I just put the top up every morning. I don't see myself cutting her hair for a long time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My older boy had his first hair cut @ 6 months and my younger one @ 11 months. But with girls, I often don't get their first salon haircut 2-4 years old. Ideally I like to see them before that, even if its just to ride up and down in the chair and get a few curls put in their hair. That way they are comfortable in the salon and having someone other than mommy touching their hair. It makes for a way more pleasent first hair cut (and cuter pictures) when are old pros at sitting by themselves in the chair. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• DD was 3 when we first cut her hair.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My daughter was a little over 3 when she got her first hair cut. And the only reason we was because she decided to cut it herself and I needed to fix it. Her hair grows so slow. It would have been probably 4 by the time we would have cut it.

Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My 2 year old still hasn't had a hair cut. My 4 year old only gets a cut because it gets to long for her comfort.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My daughter is almost 14 months and hasn't had a haircut. I don't plan on getting it cut for at least another year. I do trim her bangs out of her eyes though. But I don't consider that a true haircut.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Both of my boys had their first haircuts when they were about 3. They both had a ton of hair hanging down their backs, too! It was a pain because I had to braid & cornrow for a number of years between the two of them. It was also annoying because neither of them were ever in clothes or had ornaments in their hair that would lead you to believe they were girls; but, I had countless people refer to each boy at different times as "she/her." However, we had a reason for not cutting their hair. It was based on a Caribbean superstition that you don't cut your child's hair until they are speaking (full sentences) or they won't talk. My DH is Caribbean and so is my father. One thing that also kind of scared us was a nephew who had a haircut AND did NOT speak. Of course, two years down the road he was diagnosed as being deaf (long story.) So, we felt justified in keeping their hair.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 12:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010