Traveling with toddler on lap on plane

What do you do with your toddlers car seat??? Do you have it checked in at the gate? Or do you get one with the rental car?? I'm afraid of it getting damaged when checking it at the gate, yet, I'm not sure if I trust a rental car company's seat either.

What have you done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we have always checked ours like luggage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I checked mine like luggage. It cost 25 each way because Delta only allows one checked bag.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• we lugged ours all over the damn airport the first time and never did that again. it was a pain in the ass. then we just checked it in our luggage(free with midwest airlines and southwest.) we had no damages. though if something were to happen to the carseat, like get lost or damaged, the airport is responsible to get you one for the duration of your trip. as in trusting the one from the car rental. i do not think that they would want the lawsuit to give you a damaged or not safe one.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 10:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• you can check it like luggage- but you'd have to pay whatever baggage fees. or you can check it at the gate for free, but most airlines have you sign that they're not responsible for any damages. unless they loose it completely, then i think you might have a case. =) you can also rent one from the car rental company, but it's usually $60/week or thereabout. from what i remember.

i always bring ours to the gate and check it. we haven't had any problems yet other than it getting scuffed up a bit. and that way, if there happens to be an open seat on the plane, we've asked to switch seats be able to use it and then use the carseat on the flight. which rarely happens, but when it does, it's easier for my son to be in his familiar seat for the flight.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• if you are not going to take it on board, please DO NOT check it with the luggage... think of how bad your bags look, do you want that kind of damage inflicted on the thing that keeps your child safe in case of an accident.

You can gate check it for free, it just means that you have to take it through the airport
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• We are traveling soon too and I'm going to gate check his seat... however, I am bringing a cheap Scenera... not his really nice seat.... if you can afford it, pick up a Scenera for $50... it's way cheaper than having to replace a seat they destroy.
    Sometimes, they will allow you to use your seat on the plane if there is extra room, so check when you get there.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010