Girl's arrest for doodling raises concerns about zero tolerance

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/18/new.york.doodle.arrest/index.html

zero tolerance does not mean brain dead!!!

What happen to making her clean her desk? that is old school and that was the way to go.

What happen to you when you did something wrong in school?

gammie

Asked by gammie at 10:31 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That is sickening. SOME schools have become police states. Between computers that spy on kids at home, kids getting arrested for bringing 1/2 inch lego guns to school, and arrested for doodling!  Make her scrub the desks, don't handcuff her and arrest her.

And for those who scream "school policies", imagine if those same policies were applied to adults in the work place. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• What happen to you when you did something wrong in school?

I had to write "I will not *insert whatever offense I committed*, 100 times on the blackboard on on paper. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

For doodling, I would have been required to stay after school and scrub all of the desks in the classroom.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• For doodling, I would have been required to stay after school and scrub all of the desks in the classroom.

They can't do this anymore because someone is paid to clean the schools.  Plus, if you give a child any type of chemical to clean desks or whatnot, you are opening yourself to possible litigation for giving a child harmful chemicals.  We can't expect any of our middle or high schoolers (definitely not elementary children) to read directions and use a cleaning product properly and safely.  It would cost the school far more than it is worth to have the child correct their mistake.  Instead we will just arrest them and hope that they aren't repeat offenders.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• What happened to us? If you were caught TALKING or GIGGLING during quiet reading time the 5th grade teacher I had would make us stand on a small platform in a prominent corner (so everyone could see you)--he called it "Isolation" and we literally wore a "Goof Off" hat on our heads!! And this was a PUBLIC school in Boston!

I think libs and the ACLU were on hiatus during that year because no one even blinked about what that level of embarrassment would do to our delicate psyches!!! LOL (sarcasm)

I don't think anyone did "isolation" more than once! Imagine that....we learned from our indiscretions, and the teacher earned our respect. Shocking! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think it should raise awareness of "Zero Tolerance". We tend to go do far when we are faced with a situation and have to be reactive instead of proactive. Common sense leaves the building when we are reactive. The punishment must fit the crime still - no matter what. This type of adjustment is necessary, but they can't go to far the other way. The pendulum swings from one extreme to the other. The happy place is when it hangs dead center.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Good grief! When my son was in 2nd grade he put a sticker on his desk and when the teacher took it off it left a sticky mess. She put a little warm water on a rag and had him scrub at it a few minutes while missing 1st recess. She later cleaned it off with some nail polish remover. Sam learned a lesson, got a small punishment (the class had been told to take the stickers home) and the teacher became his favorite.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I spoke to my friend who is a teacher. If she catches the kids writing on the desks, she makes them clean them. If she catches them carving into the desk, she makes them sand it off.

That seems like the correct action. When I mentioned other schools having the kids arrested, she just shook her head.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Obviously, there is more to the story. I bet that girl was being a little witch.
    Anonymous

• Obviously, anon :59, you didn't trouble yourself to read the article.  The girl had never been in trouble before, and wrote "I love my friends".

Hardly a witch, but perhaps you are reflecting on your own childhood. 

Anonymous