my 3 year old son calls himself a girl

so my son has been having issues big time with his behavior (getting kicked out of sunday school class, hitting kids and me bitting and now hes getting kicked out of pre-preschool) i talked to his dr. and he did not give a hoot, so i took him to a second opionion couple weeks ago, there she watched him and what not and asked him diff simple questions(shapes,colors,to draw things,his name and age excetra) and she asked him what are you and he keeped calling himself a girl (im a girl, im a girl) im really worried

elias1mamma22

Asked by elias1mamma22 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't be too concerned, my stepson is now 4 but most of last summer he decided he was a monkey and would only eat bananas. He's passed out of it now.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Worrying will not make it go away, he is too young to put any concern on this but keep an eye out as he gets older. Transgender people feel trapped in their body, just keep an eye on it and pray. Some actually felt that way from very young, cross the bridge when and if you get there.

Answer by older at 10:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It could just be that he looks up to you and wants to be like you, so he wants to be a girl. He's so young, that would not concern me. The behavior would concern me more so. Has anything changed in his life recently? Perhaps new sibling, moving, anything he may feel upset about? My little girl acted up in school for a while after we moved and she had a new sister.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Don't be worried. When I was his age I pretended to be a boy, I liked walking around my house in pants but no shirt so I could "be like Daddy", but I grew up and ended up being a very girly girl.

BUT if it turns out he is transgender, please just support him. He's your son.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Why would you be worried about something so small? Are you afraid he is going to be gay, because he calls himself a girl? That is a COMMON thing in preschoolers because they don't understand grammar yet. When he says he is a girl, just say, "You are a boy like daddy." He will get it as he gets older.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Does he do anything else to concern you...like wanting to wear girls clothes, make up, only girl toys etc...? Or was it just one day where he said "I'm a girl." I have heard of transgender people saying they always felt from an early age they were suppose to be the opposite sex. It's more then one incident though. It's an everyday thing....

Also what did the tester think of it all ? Or are you still waiting on results ?
    Anonymous

• let it be...at this age most kids dont identify with sexual identity. He may just be saying that cause it gets a reaction out of you.both my boys went through a stage where they had to put makeup on like mom ( i had brushes with no makeup on them and they would just imitate it) Its just a phase at this point. and even if it turns out to be diffrent you cant be all wierd about it kids experment with things and its a part of learning about the world.....after all he is your son
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 8:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2010