Asparagus question!

I've never had asparagus before, but I want to start eating it because it's extremely healthy. How do you cook it? And if I buy it in a bunch, how do I store it? Feel free to post recipes too! Thanks! Have a Blessed day :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yum, I love asparagus! I like to fry it in butter and put a little salt & pepper on it, or you can steam it. It should be refrigerated until ready to use.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I cut about 1/4 inch off of the stalk. Put it in a glass dish with s&p, sometimes Ill add dried seasonings, olive oil, and bake at 475 until it is tender with just a hint of crunch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I just lay mine in a baking dish, cover it with some olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake it until tender.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You can steam it or fry it.
    You can use it in soups, just make sure you cut off the very ends about 1 inch or so, they are hard and will not soften

Answer by older at 10:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Grill it on the bbq. Saute it in a pan, chopped up. Raw, chopped up in salads. Steamed whole. Baked whole.
    Usually you cut of the bottom 1/3 of the stem (the thickest part) because it tends to be tough/ fiberous. You can also take them in your hand and "snap them"...and they'll naturally snap off the lower part that you don't usually want to eat.
    A great marinade for it is regular italian salad dressing! Good luck!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I've had it sauteed with garlic, onions and seasonings, baked, grilled, not raw, but I may have to try it. You need to cut off about the bottom 1/3, and I prefer the more slender asparagus to the thicker stems, I find the thicker ones to be more woody. Just as an fyi after you eat it you may notice your urine has an odd smell. I don't know why, but for some people it has that effect - my hubby notices right away, but I've never noticed it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I like it roasted, cut off ends, maybe 2 inches....spread in even layer on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, roast in a 425 oven for about 15 minutes, give or take depending on how soft/hard you like them. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving....OR....do the same thing but grill them, not sure how long, dh does the grilling around here...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I like the really skinny ones raw in salads.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• This is how *I* do it - the only way my family will eat it. I snap the ends off - hold it in the middle, and hold the bottom end, bend, and let it break where it wants too - it will naturally break where it starts getting woody - and you don't want to eat woody asparagus! I then cut the top 2 inches off, and cut the middle into 1 inch sections. Put it all in a glass bowl, add about 1/4 inche of water to the bottom, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and put in the microwave - amount of time depends on how much you have, what shape the bowl is, and how tender you like it - we like it soft, so for about 1.5 lbs I "cook" for 10 minutes. When it's done, I dump it into a colandar, let it drain for a while, pour back into the bowl, and top with butter, salt, and pepper. I *have* added it into alfredo pasta with broccoli and chicken before and my kids really enjoyed that. con't for storage tips
    Anonymous

• I've seen 3 area grocery stores AND sellers at the farmer's market store/sell it the same way - upright in a container with some water in the bottom, in the fridge. I personally don't have it around long enough to worry about storage - I use it within a day or two of buying - and I just keep it in the plastic bag I put it in at the grocery store or I put it in a clean grocery sack if I buy it from the farmer's market or we pick it wild from the ditches. If I were going to store it for more than a day or two, I'd put it upright in a tall bowl with a bit of water in the bottom, and *maybe* a plastic bag over the top so it doens't evaporate too quick. Hope I've helped, we eat a lot of asparagus here in the summer!
    Anonymous