My son is turning red

This morning when my 9 month old son woke up his nose was red, within the past hour or so his eyebrows have turned red and both his ears are splotchy red all around the outside and behind them. He's been really fussy today, but that isn't really a new thing. My DH wants to take him to the hospital to get him checked out but he isn't running a fever so I'm not sure he needs to go. Does anyone know why he might be getting red? We haven't changed laundry detergents, he hasn't been exposed to anything new.

Miss_Kay

Asked by Miss_Kay at 11:22 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• allergic reaction to something. it doesn't have to even be his sheets. if he had touched something, or gone somewhere and come in contact with even just a little bit of whatever, he could break out later on, like the next day or so....not all reactions are immediate. they'll probably give him benydryl and give him a booster shot with antihystimine in it (wrong spelling).
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• it might be an allergic reaction to something he ate or came in contact with. You should make him a doctors appointment for tomorrow.they'll tell you what it is exactly.
    ljonesmommy23

Answer by ljonesmommy23 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Do you mean splotchy like a rash ?

Look up fifth disease....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• http://www.medicinenet.com/roseola/article.htm
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/fifth.html
    here are two common rashes in kids but i agree sounds like fifths
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 8:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• When my son was little, he started getting this red rash that spread pretty quickly. He also had a fever though. We took him into the ER. Come to find out, he had scarlatina, which is basically the early stages of scarlet fever. I know this isn't common, but it does happen.

I would have him looked at to be safe, ESPECIALLY if he starts to get a fever to go with it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:17 AM on Feb. 22, 2010