Just found out I am pregnant and I want to be in shape. What exercises are safe?

For some reason I am more motivated now to be healthy and to exercise knowing I am pregnant. I was very fit with my other two pregnancies and I am not this time. Any suggestions for safe exercises and ones I should stay away from?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• walking and running, sit ups are kinda a no no...light weights. But listen to your body, and don't overdo it.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• until about 14 weeks it is perfectly safe to do any of your normal activities, it's even safe to ski (if that is one of your regular activities). Do whatever you like, just stay away from strenuous abdominal activities.

Try and find a waterfitness class (at the Y), it works wonders, and you CAN NOT do anything in the water (exercise wise) that is going to in any way, shape, or form harm the baby. You also build really lean sleek muscles from water exercise, not bunchy stock muscle mass like you do on land.

Walk, walk, walk. It is recommended that you walk between 2-3 MILES at least 3 days a week, and take at the very minimum a 30-45 minute walk daily. And get your heart rate up, break a sweat.

Also try pilates (several good classes for pregnant women)... any HYDRATE with h2o, no tea, juice, pop, "calorie free drinks", or flavored waters.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Strength bulding ones! lol. Talk to your OB there are also some excersices that will help you when labor is in play. lol
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I walked around the track a lot and did prenatal yoga! the breathing exercises they teach in prenatal yoga is what helped me through the contractions!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010