Im 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant I am not with my sons father so sex is out of the question but should I masterbate instead to help labor come?

newmomtobe85

Asked by newmomtobe85 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you really don't have to do anything to bring on labor. it doesn't need any help, it'll do it when both your body and your baby are ready. seriously..no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• you can try. but its not the orgasm its the sperm that will ripen your cervix
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

i agree. you're just now full term and won't be 'late' or 'past due' until after 42 wks. plus, your due date is just an estimate. you could only be 36 wks or could already be 40 wks. there's no exact way to know unless you know the exact conception date. and that still doesn't mean that baby would come on week 40. some babies just like to 'cook' a little longer.
    baby is who sends out the hormone to start labor. so, let baby decide when his/her bday will be.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Actually everything I have read says that external stimulation will cause a much stronger orgasm which is 2 times as likely to start labor because of mimicry, So yes go ahead, but also be advised that it can also cause the contractions to be quite strong due to the amount of hormones released. You can get evening primrose oil caplets and insert them into your cervix they wil soften your cervix the same if not better than sperm.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• some say that the orgasm will help but really you just have to wait a couple of weeks or so. gl!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree labour will come when it comes. Keep in mind that the average length of a first pregnancy is actually closer to 41 weeks.

Some people say you can help to bring on labour by having sex, but actually it's the sperm that ripens the cervix and the orgasm that causes contractions. So unfortunately you need both.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 3:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• your due date mite be off, alot of women are wrong about the due dates, thats why after 36weeks its not considered a premee baby. but wouldnt hurt to have fun if u wantd to, but they did a big research on it saying 82%of women didnt go into labor early
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me to have sex and walk to encourage my labor along. (I am 39 weeks along) You may not be able to have sex but you can definitly walk. doc said that the motion of your hips helps the baby move down.
    LilSarahgirl

Answer by LilSarahgirl at 1:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Go for it, if you need to have some "me time," and relax. I would not count on it to get you into labor though. I would do some walking and enjoy the last few days or so of your pregnancy, after I had my son I was sad to no longer be pregnant, so it will be over very quickly.
    Best of luck to you!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 9:17 AM on Feb. 22, 2010