Is it possible to gain 3.5lbs in one day?

Yesterday, I went to a friend's house and drank 4 beers and then came home and ate like additional 300 calories. I was running around all day though yesterday and hadn't eaten much anyway. I worked out yesterday and I am about to work out right now. If I workout twice today and cut back a couple hundred calories, will it make up for last night? I woke up this morning and was 3.5lbs heavier than yesterday morning. Could there still be beer left in me, because I feel SO bloated. I just don't understand how I am 3.5lbs heavier. My target is 15oo calories per day, but that's probably all I reached yesterday anyway, plus I worked out for an hour. I definitely won't drink again any time soon, because I feel like it screwed up my diet. This was my only cheat in 2 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you were to drink a bottle of water right befor you weighed yourself or anytime soon after ( up to hours after) you'd still have that "weight gain" on you. If you eat a meal, until you poop it out, your still going to have that weight in you....lol I wouldnt' freak about it. As long as your not gaining 3.5 lbs a day for consecutive days, I wouldn't worry about it! :)
    Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day to get a more acurate weight. I do it every morning BEFORE I eat, and that's the one I count. Be sure it's on the SAME SCALE as well!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It is possible to retain up to 25lbs of water in one day. Trust me. I do it ALL the fecking time! *cries*
    Just make sure you drink plenty of water to flush out the beer. You should pee that 3.5lbs out in a couple days. Don't worry. *hugs*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• they say to lose the sccale and measure yourself...bcause weight fluctuates so much even in the same day
    Anonymous

• Weight fluctuates so much on any given day. I agree with lose the scale, or at least weigh yourself only once per week. If you get on that scale every day, you will see days of weight gain, and days where you lose.

Anonymous

• Weight is rather irrelevant day to day. Any sodium you consume in any form causes water retention no matter how well or badly you eat on a given day. If you absolutely have to weigh yourself, try to only do it once a week - even better is once a month.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Well, just in case, I did a 45 minute cardio video, 25 minutes on the elliptical and 3 sets of upper body weight training.
    Anonymous

• Your weight can fluctuate like that depending on what you ingest, yes. I highly doubt that weight gain is permanent, it's more likely you are retaining water. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so that gives you an idea of just how many calories you'd have to ingest to gain 3.5 lbs of fat.

I wouldn't do anything drastic to get rid of it. Go back to your normal diet and exercise routine and it will probably be back to normal by tomorrow or the next day. There's no need to cut your calories today or exercise twice IMO. Just simply go back to your normal routine.

EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 3:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010