Agree with Cheney or Patraeus?

"I have always been on the record, in fact, since 2003, with the concept of living our values. And I think that whenever we've perhaps taken expedient measures, they've turned around and bitten us in the backside. We decided early on, in the 101st airborne division, we just said, we decided to obey the Geneva Conventions...

"In the cases where that is not true [where torture takes place or international human rights groups aren't granted access to detention sites] we end up paying a price for it, ultimately," he added. "Abu Ghraib and other situations like that are non biodegradable. They don't go away. The enemy continues to beat you with them like a stick.... Beyond that, frankly, we have found that the use of interrogation methods in the army field manual that was given the force of law by Congress, that that works."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• he reiterated his support for closing Gitmo, albeit without a date-specific time frame.

"I've been on the record on that for well over a year, saying it should be closed," he said. "But it should be done in a responsible matter. So I'm not seized with the issue that it won't be done by a certain date. In fact, I think it is prudent to insure that as we move forward with that, the remaining detainees are relocated and so forth... is really thought through and done in a very pragmatic and sensible manner."

As he noted, Petraeus has held these views for some time, so it's not surprising to hear him say it again. What does stand out is how infrequently he is invoked in the political debate on torture and Gitmo. The Obama administration, after all, has the endorsement of one of the most respected military figures of the modern age on two key policy disputes. And rarely do they or others mention it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Patraeus.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I wonder who posted this question? I really don't wonder. I do wonder why she bothered to go anon though. We all know who is obsessed with Petraeus and who hates Cheney with a passion.

mommy, you should learn how to spell his name since you so agree with him.

Anonymous

***
    Lovely "cut and paste" job! LOL :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• mommy, you should learn how to spell his name since you so agree with him.

Really? Ok, I agree with Petraeus.

Now what has changed? Oh... nothing. I still agree with the same person and spelling his name correctly didn't make one ounce of difference.

Lol nice. I've got other stuff I'm doing besides sitting on cafemom and it's not the end of the world nor is it really that important that I spell someone's name right on cafemom. Unfortunately, I have more important things to worry about, like the fact that my husband is out working an extremely dangerous job and they are shorthanded 3 people. Just last week someone lost 3 fingers while on the job. Hmmm, heaven forbid I spell Petraeus wrong. Excuse me while I wait for the world around me to come crashing down because I spelled his name wrong.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Yes Lori, she does seem to be very versed in how to cut and paste.
    Anonymous

• Which one said what? You didn't do a very good job sourcing your quotes. I agree with the notion that as long as the USA apologizes for your methods and seem scared to be tough (even when it is unpleasant), our enemies will see us as weak and try to blow up planes over our cities with innocent civilians on board. Our enemies are not fighting a "gentleman's war" and until we stop trying to play nice they will continue to make us look weak. PBO needs to take a tough stance and let our enemies know he doesn't give a crap what they or anyone else thinks. His only concern is the USA, and he only cares about what we think. Taking bets on when that will happen.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I never agree with anything Cheney says so I will agree with the other gentleman. I know who he is but I don't want silly criticism if I make a spelling error.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• We MUST do WHATEVER it takes to save the lives of Americans and our way of life.

I'm sorry.

And don't you understand that WHATEVER it takes to save our civilization will be done, whether YOU are consulted or not.

That is what has always been done.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I'm with Cheney. If we have to hang terrorists by their toenails to protect our country so be it.

Gitmo needs to stay open and those housed there need to stay right where they are.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010