If Your Child Were Invited...

...Through the school they attend, to join an 'Atheist Study Group' (like the good news club- for christians) how would you feel?

What if they were sent home with leaflets regarding Atheism, which stated that the only way to live is in reality?

Would you (as a believer-ANY RELIGION) be offended and demand that the school not distribute the leaflets to the children?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no way that I would allow it. Christian based clubs aren't allowed I thought! At least, that's what we were told when I was in high school from 92-96!
    Anonymous

• Schools are not allowed, but students start clubs, and the clubs are allowed to I believe, within that forum ONLY.
    Who's to day your child even wants to go?..
    Anonymous

• Christian based clubs aren't allowed I thought!

Of course they are allowed. We get fliers for the "Happy Day Club" at the start of the year, their events show up on the school calendar every month (if they have an event) and in spring we get info for the church basketball and soccer leagues. The only other option for sports outside school is at the Y, so we get info on those, too (for those who don't realize what the C in YMCA means, think about it...).

And as for the OP, I wouldn't care, but he would not be attending. There is time enough for religious education from ANY angle when he's old enough to understand it - which I expect will be around 16 or 17ish, although it might be a few years sooner since he's gifted.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• first of all schools are NOT aloud to do that at all
    second no way would my daughter do anything like that
    third ill teach the way i think is right
    no one has the right to shove crap down my daughters throat i will teach her
    Anonymous

Yes, they are. Telling the kids they can't have the group would be discrimination. Scouts are a Christian organization, too, and scout meetings are almost always held at school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• If the school is in any way providing funding whether it be the copy paper and ink for the leaflets they are in violation of the separation of church and state. I would have no problem with this if Christian groups, and other religious groups were allowed to occur within schools as well since they aren't an atheist group shouldn't be allowed either you can't pick and choose who gets time and who doesn't I would look into this matter heavily.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My son has gotten religious group stuff sent home in his backpack.
    I personally would love for my son to go to an atheist study group, but just like all that stuff, school is NOT the place to send that stuff. It's not any more appropriate than the Christian stuff he's gotten. I think all groups that are about religious agendas should stay away from our children.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Kids totally have the right to have student groups like this. I am happy that students are allowed to do this, just 3 weeks ago I was invited to share the Word of God to a large group of students at the public high school that I had attended. It was a very special moment for me, because the last time I was at that school I was a VERY different person, who led people away from God. To come back and share the love of God was like getting another chance to leave a positive mark. Anyways.

My girls are going to be homeschooled, so there won't be any atheist lunch clubs here. LOL. BUT if she got invited to go, I wouldn't mind. I am a proactive parent and i will teach her all their arguments and ideas first, while I teach her why we don't agree with them. My goal would be to prepare her to be able to hold her own in a discussion with them, to be gracious and knowledgable. Parents are responsible to teach, not just shelter.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I wouldnt be offended, but i would not be happy about it. It's the same as if the school sent christian literature to an atheist's home, i'd understand why they'd be upset. I dont think religion should have any part in school.
    Anonymous

• " I dont think religion should have any part in school."

Then you have to exclude students who have religious beliefs from school completely. Kids talk about what they believe, period. Teachers shouldn't encourage their personal beliefs during class time. But we can't force people to pretend they are all atheists. Some people are religious, it is not offensive.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010