At what age did your child show interest in tv?

Just wondering at what age your child stating watching some tv. And what were they interested in. I don't want my child to live in front of the tv but a few quiet minutes watching tv would be ok. I need a rest from chasing him lol. He is 13 months.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was watching tv. Her favorites are spongebob, wow wow wubzy, dora the explorer, blues clues, and the fresh beat band lol all on nickelodeon. She's 2.5 now.
    Anonymous

• The American Academy of Pediatrics suggest NO TV until at least 2 yrs old. Early TV watching has been linked to later ADHD. Also, ther is a big correlation between the more TV they watch the fewer vocabulary words they have (becuase they are missing out on talking interacting with real people).
    If you are going to do it at this age I'd use dvds (I think the commercials are the worst!) and pick something pretty mellow, not overstimulating. We have these Cedarmont Kids ones where it is just kids singing preschool songs, not a lot of flashing changing colors. Something like Blues Clues is probably another good bet.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My son is 11 months old and he loves to watch the "your baby can read" and "Baby Einstein" DVDs. I think he likes them for the other small children that are in the shows. We also have these potty power ones he likes too. He has never showed any interest in cartoons at all. So that's what I would try, DVDs with small children in them
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My daughter is 19 months and shows no interest in tv, except for a few commercials.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My son was more than 18 months before I let him watch anyTV or he even showed any interest. And then it was only a PBS show or two. PBS has some great shows for kids and no commercials. We record a few episodes of the shows he likes so we have them on hand when needed. Less is better in my mind and lack of interest isn't a problem. You're better off to delay it as long as you can. Not sure it really has been proven to have any adverse impact but it's a bad habit.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2010