Tongue Piercing Infection Anyone a Doctor or a Nurse? Or anyone whos had experience?

I got my tongue pierced about 6 weeks ago and suddenly maybe two weeks roughly there was this bump that formed underneath my tongue at the piercing site. At first I thought it was protruding scar tissue and that it would just eventually wear down/go away. Well I was wrong and now there is a little bit of puss and it has just started to secrete a little bit of blood as of a couple days ago. Im sure I have and infection. I will be going into the clinic as soon as I can get it this week. Any advice on treatment and etcetera would be very helpful. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Health

• That's actually pretty common and I did have that. I squeezed it a couple times a day and rinsed with Listerine(which is highly recommended by reputable piercers) and started applying glyoxide again-an oral peroxide gel which is again highly recommended to help tongue piercings heal faster. If you get ANY kind of fever especially 100 degrees or more, take the barbell out IMMEDIATELY and go to the emergency room! You may need an antibiotic.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 12:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree with PP also you can do a sea salt rinse it will burn a little but it will help get the infected tissue clean and close the wound faster as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Try rinsing with listerine or hydroperoxide but while doing this try to turn the piercing around so you won't have to take it off like this it will still be in place but at the same time you are moving it around so that the Listerine/Hydroperoxide gets into the little cracks of your piercing just do this often and hopefully it cured somewhat. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2010