When do I stop or cut back of Motrin & Tylenol? (giving these every 2 hours)

Ex: Motrin 7:00 Tylenol 9:00 Motrin 11:00 Tylenol 1:00 and so on....My dd has had fever Friday so I kept her from school the fever was off and on then Saturday she was feeling alot better so I let her and her brother go outside in the back yard to play it was alittle chilly so of course I had them wear a jacket anyway they played for about an hour then I had them come in and strip down to their under wear and jumped in the tub full of bubbles they loved it after awhile in the tub I got them out got them ready for dinner. When dinner was ready my dd started to feel warm again so I gave her some medicine again she had a fever of 100.6. Do you think letting her play then bathe made the fever comeback?
I just don't want to over medicate her.
What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• a fever of 100.6 is considered low grade and not worthy of medicating. She needs to let her body fight off whatever is making her ill and if you keep giving meds to keep the fever gone she will stay sick longer. Do not giver her any meds unless her temp is 102 or above.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Fevers always rise in the evening. I personally would not medicate her unless she is at 102. The body can handle a fever less than that just fine. DO keep her well hydrated but not with anything that has caffine. If she isn't very hungry just give her fruit or soup, the less the body has to deal with the better.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Tylenol is every 4-6 hrs Motrin is 6-8 hrs. I would back off for at least 6 hrs and see if she still needs anything.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• A fever is the bodies natural defense against nasties. Let it go. When it hits 102, medicate, and ALSO call her ped for an apt. If it lasts 3 days or more she needs meds. And I would lay off the fever meds for 24 hrs. There has been a few times my daughters have fevers, I wait 24 hrs before giving them tylenol. And in that 24 hours I monitor the temp to make sure it doesnt spike.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• From what you described, you are overmedicating her. IF you alternate and that should be for HIGH fevers only (above103), it's not one every 2 hours, it's Motrin every 6 hours and Tylenol every 4 hours. Also, if all she has is a fever, let the fever do it's job and rid her body of the virus.

A fever of 100.6 is NOTHING and needs NO meds. Her temp was probably elevated from running around and playing outside.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Please be careful with the Motrin. That's way too often and like others said the fever isn't high enough to warrant giving meds. Her body has to learn to fight on its own without meds.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• What everyone else said. I wouldn't be giving her anything if that's what her temperature was. I only give something if they are super hot to the touch or have other symptoms that are making them miserable. And I only give it when they complain not ever few hours.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree with the others. For a low grade fever (like yours has) I would hold off on meds and try other things to lower the fever first- like a lukewarm bath or using wet compress and keeping her hydrated by pushing fluids. I would also make sure she rests and is not up running around. Fevers do tend to come on or get higher at night. If you do give meds do not over medicate - especially for a low fever. Wait the recommended time between does-- NOT give every 2hrs. When in doubt about giving meds or how much to give, how often to give - contact the pediatrician or nurse hotline.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• for low grade I would not alternate and unless she had been running some really high ones I would not do the whole alternate thing. fevers are good for the body.
    When I did have to do alternates and had to keep my ds's fever down (he's been spiking up to 105 and the nurse said to not even wait)-- I'd take temp. every 3 hours and only give if the fever was 100.3 or so....
    normally, i won't even give tylenol until close to 101 or if its already getting up there and we're all going to sleep.

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2010