what kind of environment did you grow up in?

My mom has had numerous boyfriends and marriages, she finally got it right this time. Always a middle class family and always had what we need. Didn't feel like I missed out on much but apperantly my sisters did. I was protected from the bad that was done to others in my family. Not so much stability except finacially. Moved a lot, went to every school in the city. Big mexican family that loved to gossip and the drama that came with it. I definitely rose above my upbringing as an adult for a better life for me and my lil one. My fiancees not too bad either : ) what's your life story??
I have 2 older sisters, sad to say but they are very irresponsible and have made one bad decision after another. One is really caring and the other is selfish and super nosey

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• too long to type, but your not the only one who grew up with probs :)
    Anonymous

• I grew up on an 80 acre farm in Missouri, I had horses, cows, dogs, cats.. A big house I lived in until after my parents both passed away. They were married 40 yrs and I have 3 older sisters. I don't really remember much of the 2 oldest sisters but the one closest to my age was my best friend as a child. Now we barely speak... I get along best with my oldest sister now, I guess because she practically raised me when I was a baby... My Mom worked fulltime, so did my Dad, and when they were home they were very busy remodeling our farmhouse.. I grew closer to my parents as I got older and had a child of my own. After my Mom passed in 2000, my father became very angry and selfish and remarried twice... He then passed in 2005 and we sold the whole farm.. Now we all live very far apart, have our own families and don't see each other much, if at all.... So there's my story.. Kind of boring. I guess over all I had a good childhood....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I grew up in a middle class home with loving and supportive parents.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I grew up on a farm in NC that was part of a 12,000 acre land grant given to my ancestors in 1740 (though not that big now). We lived in the house my grandfather built in 1918. (My dad was a late life baby.) We had tobacco, corn, soybean, cows, chickens, hogs, and I showed horses the entire time I lived at home. My parents have been married for 55 years. We were loud, passionate, sometimes dysfunctional and always loyal to each other. My three brothers are farmers like my dad, and I married a forester. We have 3 sons and we are loud, passionate, sometimes dysfunctional, and always loyal. My husband grew up in a very loving home with parents who were married for 63 years. His dad now lives with us. His sister is on her death bed (liver cancer) and his 3 brothers are in town often to help. My kids see the good, the bad, and the forgiving. We have a good life.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I grew up in a very poor family, my father had no ambition and always took easy minimum wage jobs, like security guard. My mother had kids so she wouldn't have to work and whenever it was time to go back to work she would get pregnant again. They had no joy for their kids, we were burdens that were neglected an best. I left my home at ten, and stayed with my friends family. This was not an official placement, they just took me in and my parents were indifferent to it. I have a great life now and I feel my children are a great blessing. I think it makes me appreciate my life more.

Anonymous

• In a loving and large extended family in the hood in the Northeast! There were the typical bad, urban elements all around me; but, I had a lot of good examples in close proximity. Plus, my momma didn't play! Now add to that the fact that my parents are of different races from different countries made it even more interesting. But again, I had people pushing me in the right direction. Even the drug dealers and gang members that I knew (and in some cases were related to) would make sure I was on the straight and narrow. I went to college, earned two degrees and cultivated a career. I met my DH when I was in college, and we've been together for 20 years. We live outside of the city with our two boys and a dog. However, I have a half sister who is a former crackhead (and current prescription addict, if you ask me) and an 18 yo nephew who just got locked up again. I view myself as "the hood gone good." (But, still hood!)
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 1:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I grew up in a small town in Southern Illinois. My father was a drunk and had to retire at the age of 40 due to heart problems. My mother grew up in an orphanage in Sicily and married my father because he was American and she wanted a better life. She thought all americans were rich and was shocked to find out he grew up in poverty, too. My father was barely literate and my mother could not read at all and was totally dependant on my father, who liked it that way. He sabataged all her efforts to improve herself. I grew up both abused and neglected. But my mother always told us what a wonderful mom she was and others agreed. I have no happy memories, although I am sure there must have been good times because everyone tells me I am negative and only like to remember bad things. I live in a sick world.
    Anonymous

• A few words will suffice instead of the unpalatable details. Poor. Alcohol. Violence. Abuse of sexual, emotional and physical being. Escape.
    Anonymous

• An awesome one! My mom is the greatest! She did special things for us, cooked all our meals and kept our house clean. She always made us feel very loved and appreciated and special because she did not feel that way growing up and wanted it to be different for her kids. My dad is also great. Sweetest man ever! He always had a decent job and usually had a GOOD job. We werent' rich, but wanted for nothing and always lived in a decent house. They combined love and caring with rules and decipline. I am SO glad they are my daughter's grandparents! The only complaint I have is that my dad smokes and I always worried about his health. He's trying to quit now...so woo hoo!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Crappy. My mom was mentally ill. She was in no way competent to raise 3 girls. My stepdad was violent and cruel. He molested his kids and beat me when he was mad. They are both dead now but I have 2 wonderful sister. We all had to have counseling. I'm in therapy now still. But amazingly enough we all have a good life now. We all had kids too young but our kids are great! It is funny to listen to them whine about unfair things because they don't really know unfair.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2010