Why are you not supposed to give kids cold medicine under a certain age?

My 2 year old has a terrible cold. We've tried everything to get rid of it, and our last resort is cold medicine. It says not to use it for kids under 4. Why is this? Is it a liability thing? Are the moms of kids under 4 supposed to suffer along with their kids? My child's nose is raw and almost bleeding from constant wiping, even with a warm cloth. I am at my wit's end!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• um... some kids react and parents accidently gave wrong doses.
    talk to you ped.

Anon.... um no... it does help them even if its just to sleep at night sot hey can actually get better.

And IMO much could have been avoided if co. had labeled by age AND weight and parents were told not to mix.

I give mine some for school in the AM and sometimes at night.

I was lucky in that the nurse at my peds warned me b/f the ban so I stocked up.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• because certain moms with children under 4 have abused the medicine, and the company int wanting to have liability. talk to your pharmacist, they can suggest a serving size for your child. or they can suggest an alternative. good luck.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• here in canada they just changed all the medicine so that were not supposed to give medicine to kids under the age of 6..theres stuff for newborns to 2 years..but then nothing again until 6 years old!! i asked the pharmacist where i work why that is..and he said it was because parents are over-dosing their kids. i think thats ridiculous!!! my daughters is 5..and i've always given her 5mls of the buckleys for kids stuff...now im not supposed to, but when she turns six im allowed to give her 10 mls..so..ive just continued giving it to her, (5ml's)..i'm not gonna let her suffer at night coughing, not being abe to sleep..i would just go ask your pharmacist what they would recommend you could use..cuz they still make newborn or infants tylenol that you could use most likely..but i'd ask just to make sure!! hope your child feels better soon!!! try using some vicks vapor rub in the meantime!! and warm baths.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• liability & dosing issues. parents just giving their kids medicines to make them sleep and idiot parents overdosing their kids because they couldn't read directions.

when my son had a cold, pedi told me what amount of robitussin to give him. at 6 months old, that was 0.5 ml and WOW is that a difficult dose to get right in the dropper plus the bottle is huge LOL

call your pedi and just ask what you can give and how much.
    Anonymous

• Its not because of overdosing, its because cold medicines are ineffective in children, they don't metabolize it the same way adults do. Your just giving you kid something for their liver to clean out while they are sick, thats why the AAP fought to have them banned. They are just an ineffective waste of money that can only cause harm. Use Saline drops and the bulb, a humidifier, vicks, and keep vasoline or vicks baby rub under their nose at all times so it doesn't get chapped. Also check out boogie wipes, its a saline and moisturizer nose wipe.

Anonymous

• but op, vicks helps ALOT so does a humidifier and "steam" baths.
    MamiJaAyla

• SO many do not know how to administer the correct dosages.

Best to see your ped instead of relying on OTCs
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Mostly because it's hard to get the right dose. If you're concerned, speak to the doctor so that they can advise/prescribe medications, and they can give you the proper dosing information.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I also agree that they are NOT ineffective. No, they don't CURE the cold, but they can help alleviate the symptoms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2010