How much is too much?

Do you feel that it is always possible to repair a broken relationship, or is there some unseen line that can be crossed when there's just too much piled up? I do NOT mean a big 'cross the line' incident such as cheating or abuse. Can there be just one fight too many? Or one too many times of a name being called, or something implied, or whatever buttons are often pushed. Where would you draw the line if there is one? How do you know when it's been crossed? If there is no line and the relationship can always be recovered....how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Actually, a relationship can be repaired after an infidelity, I think MORE so than after physical abuse. For better or worse, if there is counseling and forgiveness(in that the past is not brought up!), then indeed-a relationship CAN be healed.
    Anonymous

• If you can honestly say that person has your heart completely and you can't see yourself without them then I think outside of abuse it's worth trying to save... The only line I could see having to cross would be if they are trying to control you, making you live with conditions, and not letting you be you... Then I think it's time to move on. I used to think there's someone for everyone, but when it comes to your heart you have to be very careful in your selection.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• U and only u will know when u had enough.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Even when all your buttons have been pushed, and all seems like it's thrashed... it is possible to repair, with the right help. First you have to both want to work things out. Then see a marital counselor. It works wonders on helping to both understand each other. To understand why your partner does the things he/she does. If you really wanna be with this person and the relationship is rocky, seeing a counselor can help build a new or repair an old foundation. It's all in who wants it and how bad.

"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction."- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think it depends on the relationship. My ex and I fought constantly, he cheated, he lied, there were so many problems. I kept trying to make it work, but no matter what I did, and no matter what he did when he would make an effort, it just didn't change. I eventually got tired of feeling like I was trying to wade against the current in a river and gave up. I was miserable, lonely, and just exhausted.

With my SO, I would never give up on us. Unless he hit me or hit my kids, I'd want to work out anything we might go through, whether it means counseling, or whatever. I would never want to say "enough is enough" and end things. He feels the same way. We always talk out anything that is bothering us.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• When the negative outweighs the positive in the long term, is when I leave. Life is too short to fight all the time and wonder if you should stay and keep doing it. There is so much more out there to experience. It's like a whole new world when you put all the negative behind you and see what other things life has to offer.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010