my kids are almost 4 years apart both boys one is 3 months and the older one is about to be four... is the a good age difference?? would they get along ?? or play well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My brother and I are 4 years apart. We never got along until I moved out of my parents house. Maybe it was because I am a girl and he is a boy, or because I was older...I don't know. We get a long really well now, but I am 27 now and he is going to be 23 soon. Hopefully since you have two boys they will get along better than my brother and I did!!
    Anonymous

• I think it's pretty far apart for them to ever be interested in the same toys at the same time. They may get along better because they won't be fighting over the same toys, but at the same time I don't think they will really be playing together either.

Answer by missanc at 1:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My boys are exactly 3 months shy of 4 yrs apart. They played well for a few years but the age difference became an issue as my oldest approached the tween years. The nice thing was even though he didn't wantto hang around his brother he was also his biggest defender. My youngest so was in special ed from 3yrs until 7th grade. He was bullied a lot. His brother protected him more than a few times. As teens they fought like mad dogs. As adults they have learned to be friends.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think it really depends on the kids and their interests. If they have common interests, that may help. As they both grow, they will likely go through phases where they relate more to one another and phases where they are in two different age groups and it's difficult.

My oldest and my youngest are 4 years apart (there is another child in between the two of them.) They do play together- he's almost 8 and she is 3. However, they both play more with the middle child, who is 2 years younger than the oldest and 2 years older than the youngest.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Here's the thing, How well siblings get along really doesn't have much to do with how far apart in age they are. It's more about personality type and probably to some degree, parenting style. My brother is 6 yrs older than me and my sis was 9yrs older. She and I were pretty tight but I never got along with my brother. One mom I know has 2 girls. One in 1st and one in 3rd grade and she told me they fight like crazy. The only thing you can be sure of is that you can't really tell anything based on their age difference. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 4:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My boys are 4 years apart and I wondered the same thing, but I have found as my oldest is 5 and my youngest is 18 months that they are awesome to each other right now because my oldest realizes that he is just a baby. I am anticipating that when my boys are say 8 and 4 that things will change and my oldest will no longer want a tag-along brother.....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• there is three years between my sis and I, and 4 yrs between one brother and I and we never got along til high school. My kids are going to be that far apart, or more. My DS is already 3, and I wont be getting pregnant til after he is 4. BUT I have a friend whos kids are 6 yrs apart and the oldest boy is very devoted to his brother. Myabe it all depends on how your raised too, but I dunno
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010