Can you help me start up a play group?

Hi!
My name is Jennifer. I have 3 kids. My boys are 6 & 3. My little girl is 14 months old. I am thinking of starting up a playgroup in my small town of Cottonwood, CA ( 20 miles south of Redding, Ca). But I don't know where to start. I am a stay at home mom that doesn't really have friends at all. I don't even know what to call my playgroup. Where we live we are famous for the Sundial bridge, Hot summers, Lake Shasta, Mt. Shasta, Sacramento River, Salmon ( the fish) & Fishing. Can you please give me some ideas?
Thanks!
Jennifer

jennigirlygirl

Asked by jennigirlygirl at 1:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can start your own playgroup through the website www.meetup.com. That's what I did. There is a fee to start it, but once you start getting members you charge them like 5-10 dollars a year and it will pay back you money pretty quickly. I was in the same boat as you without knowing many people. It gives you a ton of promotional ideas including flyers and cards that you can post anywhere. The group is great! I call it the name of the county I live in and now we have almost 30 moms. If you have any other questions about the site feel free to pm me! Good luck starting your group!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Go back to church, if you once used to, and maybe befriend some mothers there. or you can maybe post online here or wherever that you'd like to start a playgroup. I would do it in a public location until you feel comfortable with certain mothers, then invite them and thier children to your home and vice versa.
    Anonymous

• I second the meetup.com suggestion. I have belonged to a couple now, and it is great.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• yahoo groups or meetup.com
    Anonymous