Does your teenager drink, if yes, when did they start?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 1:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have not teenagers, but when I was one... not long ago, I started to try alcohol very young, snuck it from my parents when we were camping, thought it was cool because they did it to have fun.

So now that I'm grown with kids, I'm not going to keep alcohol in our house, and show them the ways teens really need to have fun... bowling w/friends, movies, etc. Things other than parties.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Oh and I first tried it when I was 10, but actually started to go out w/friends to drink when I was in Jr. High. So what's that 13? Too damn young.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• No, my teenagers do not drink.
    Anonymous

• I think the truth is we (parents) don't know alot of what are teens do. Scary!
    Anonymous

• Mine didn't drink as teens and yes, I know they didn't drink as teens. Unless they were at a specific place that WE took them to (movies, skating, bowling, etc.) and picked them up from they were at home or at work. They are now 18, 19, 22 amd 23 and none of them have ever even tried drinking. It's not something that appeals to any of them. Hubby and I don't drink so they didn't grow up around it and they don't see it as a big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have a teen daughter, and no, she doesn't drink, it's not something that tickles her fancy at least as if yet. I don't I don't even think her friends like drinking either. Maybe thats why too. But I don't smell any on her breath or clothes when she comes home from being with her friends. I never seen her come home drunk or tipsy. But I didn't really start drinking til my 21st birthday. truth. believe it or not.;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• To my knowledge they dont drink (13 and 15). My 15 yr old is VERY open with me and has told me which of her friends has started drinking and all are from homes with family issues. Im not saying that is the root cause but if mom and dad are not paying attention then it can start earlier. I know I had my first drink when my parents were going through a divorce and they basically stopped parenting.

Anonymous

• anon:36 cont...

Hubby and I are wine and beer drinkers. We have asked them not to drink, but if they were just curious then they could ask us for a sip of ours. Dont know if that is proper or not, but I know one sip with me watching isnt going to hurt. And the fear I have when they are out is that one sip could be ok or it could be laced. There is a huge issue with date drugs that I have been reading about... scares the SHIT out of me. Also they have been warning the h.s. parents that some of the pot being sold in the area is being laced for a bigger effect and to get the kids 'hooked' from the get go.
    Anonymous

• i dont have teens yet, but i dont know a single person who didnt atleast try alcohol before graduating high school
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I have a son that is a Freshman. To my knowledge he has never drank, and the if the day came that I found out he did, I would short of beat the hell out of him!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:49 PM on Feb. 22, 2010