How much rice cereal?

I started my son on rice cereal yesterday (he is 4 months and 4weeks old). He ate 1 tbsp of cereal mixed with equal parts breastmilk.
Should I give him the same amount to day or increase the amount to 2 tbsp? Or should I give him two meals of 1 tbsp each?

rosamor

Asked by rosamor at 2:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know the specific answer to your question. I just know that exclusive breast milk is encouraged for the first six months. I know my mom started one of her kids earlier on solids simply because he wanted it. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Thank you Adelicious. I have been struggling with whether or not to start for a while now. I did a lot of research on it and realize that the AAP recommends delaying solids for 6 months. But they also state that you may start at 4 months. I don't have any food allergies in my family or on my hubby's side of the family.
    I have just been getting so tired of nursing my son every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. He was doing great at night until he hit 4 months. My doctor even recommended I start solids at my last visit.
    rosamor

Answer by rosamor at 2:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Eating solids probably won't decrease breastfeeding. I think there are times when it seems too much but then we look at that milky smile and know it's all worth it.

Remember, doctors are not trained in breastfeeding or nutrition. Don't expect good breastfeeding from a MD unless they are also a lactation consultant.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months. Babies never need baby cereal, jar food, puffs, ect. Just fork mash a little banana, sweet potato, or avocado and let the baby feed itself. Even if you decide to start solids now you can start with real food. If your baby can't feed himself he is not ready.

Babies digestive tracks are changed by formula or food and that's why it's important to wait. Cereal was invented to give iron to formula babies before they had figured out how to make formula with iron. Meat is a better source.

www.kellymom.com is a good bf website with solids info
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I'd say 1 TB a day is plenty. There are lots of reasons to delay solids until 6 months, allergies is only one of them. If you are going to give it this early then start small, just one TB a day.

Studies show introducing solids does not make babies sleep longer. I know I have always needed to breastfeed just as much, and they woke just as much during the night , with or without solids.

My 8 month old still breastfeeds every 2-3 hours around the clock even eating 3 solid meals a day (which I think is a lot of solids for an 8 month old actually!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Nurse first. Whatever he takes in solids after is OK. Just nurse first.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree with G, as usual. But, I'd dump the cereal, because IMPO, it's yucky garbage. I'd offer fruits or veggies instead, but, personally, I would also wait a bit longer. In any case, nurse before solids EVERY TIME up until 12 months. Remember, you DON'T want them to fill up on cereal and nurse less, because the nutrients a baby needs are in the breast milk, not the solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the replies, ladies! You've given me something to think about. If it doesn't help his sleeping, I'm not going to continue the solids.

PS - I love kellymom.com!
    rosamor

Answer by rosamor at 1:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2010