If your baby slept with a pacifier, did you have a hard time weaning him/her from it? Did you have to put it back in their mouth repeatedly?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 2:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had his til he was a little over 3. I know my bad. He only used it at night time. Then one night he threw it in the garbage all by himself. It was great. But I do remember the nights of having to go in his room repeatedly to give the nuk back to him. I got tired of that, so then I just gave him a few to sleep with. Then it was just easier for him to find one. My daughter who is almost 9 months sleeps w/ one, and I may have to give it her one extra time thru the night. Not too bad.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• no, with my daughter i just took it away at about 4 months
    Anonymous

• My 2.5-yr-old still sleeps with a paci. That answer your question about weaning? Lol. I don't really mind, though, since it's just for sleeping. And weaning him from daytime use wasn't hard at all; he did that himself when his baby sister was born before he turned 2 (the opposite effect from what I expected with a new baby in the house, but I'm not complaining).

And he was able to put it back in his mouth himself around 6 months old. Before that, the paci falling out never woke him up, so it wasn't like I was having to put it back in every hour or two.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My oldest "lost" his paci at 2.5 and it was one bad night and then it was over. I never had to put the paci back in for him or his youngest brother - they would lose it and continue to sleep. My youngest is 15 months and still has his at bedtime and naptime - would probably have cut it out at 18 months, but he's having a younger sister in July (when he's 20 months) so I'm going to continue to let him have it as a source of comfort until he gets over her being here (hopefully by the time he's 2 or shortly after)

Answer by missanc at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My slept with his pasi and yes sometimes when he would lose it he would cry till I got up and put it back in him mouth which drove me nuts so I started putting a little pile of them right beside him and if he lost one he could just grab another one! That worked...When he was a little older than 1 he got sick with a cold and couldn't breath with 1 in his mouth... He was very mad that he couldn't have it and I figured since he couldn't use it and he was going to be going through this for a couple days i hid them all. He couldn't us them anyway and he couldn't figure out why he couldn't suck on one.. It was so sad for those couple days he would sit on the floor and cry and I knew why but there was no since in bring them back out because he would cry because he couldn't suck and breath at the same time! If it wasn't for the cold I know he would have had it for a longer period of time, it just happened to end that way..
    Anonymous