help me.... 18 months no more bottle

OK so my son is 18 month and Yesterday I decided that he wasn't going to get the bottle no more. So he was fine taking a nap without a bottle but when it came going to sleep for the night he had a fit/.. He cried for about two hours straight and then threw out the night. I feel horrible for him but I know it has to be done. I let my oldest son drink the bottle intill he was two but for some reason i dont want to wait this time. How long with the crying last?

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not long if you're always consistent. One night he cries for 2 hours, you give in at the second hour, he now knows he can fight that long and eventually you'll give in. So as long as you're consistent, and don't give in not once it shouldn't be long at all. He'll get used to the change.

It's so hard to watch your baby cry. Oh so hard. You're a sweet mommy, you care, you shouldn't feel horrible. It's probably better for him to be off the bottle now anyway. My son was off the bottle at a year. I started his real milk in a sippy cup. He didn't ever seem to mind. I think he liked the cup but every kids different I guess.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Is there some particular reason why you allowed your first to mature to 2 y/o before taking the bottle away, but now you believe that your 2nd should be ready at 18 months? Why do you think that "it has to be done" NOW? Is someone making you feel that you are wrong for allowing him to have it? Not judging you, but if you are adamant about taking it, then maybe transitioning by taking away the nap bottle first, then the night bottle later. Someone suggested to me once to either decrease the amount in the bottle 1-2 days (7 oz, then 6 oz, then 5 oz, etc.) OR adding a bit of water to the milk to thin it down over a week or so, and that he'd eventually not want it. I am NOT judging you for allowing him to have it. We are letting our child self-wean.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Just don't give up, as hard as it may be right now. A few more days, maybe a week or two and he will be fine without the bottle.
    maja2007

Answer by maja2007 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You might try reducing the amount of milk in the bottle each night if you want to ease the transition. It is important to eliminate the nighttime bottle due to the risk of damaging his teeth. Watering the milk down might also ease the transition. Personally, since you're already gotten through the first night, I'd ride it out. You might want to stay in the room and offer comfort if that works better for both of you but stick with eliminating the bottle one way or the other.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You could change from milk to water.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010