Public Assistance

Why is it that most of the time when I read an answer to a question someone has to bring up public assistance? Why do you people make such a big deal about it? Is it completely wrong to ask for a little bit of help when you can't make it? I mean, yes I know there are people who abuse the system, but that will never change... so why is that people who receive public assistance are always being put down. I mean I got pregnant when I was 19, I turned to the government for a little bit of help. I needed health insurance in order to receive medical care, when I applied for medical assistance, they automatically applied me for food stamps. I got approved because my fiancee doesn't make very much, I wasn't working at the time and was a full time student receiving finanicial aid and student loans. Was it wrong of me to take it? I mean I only needed it and without it things wouldn't have been right.

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• its called being responsible
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, people who abuse the system leave a bad taste in people's mouths. And when that's most of what you hear about when someone talks about PA...it's easy to jump to conclusions. Not right...but easy.

No, it's not wrong of you to ask and receive help if you need it, as long as you're helping yourself, as well. It's wrong of people to rely on free help and do nothing to better their own situation.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Alright anon #1 aren't you just so goody goody. I am so glad for you that you never had to lower yourself to gov. help. WAY TO GO MISS RESPONSIBLE!! No really you kinda a b*tc* and some people out there are busting their ass and still not making it such as my family. We receive medical and food stamps right now and I am not ashamed. I am currently job searching while my old man is a full time college student for computer programming and while not at school or studying he works a job making 10$ an hour. We are trying but with rent and bills we need the help. I hope someday you fall off your high horse and need the help and you will then see how wrong you are to run your mouth b4 you know anyone's situation. Walk in all of our shoes fow awhile!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 2:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You're just fine.. Anonymous # 1 is ignorant obviously.

I had my son at 19 I needed medical help. I also started school and was accepted for a pell grant.

NOW

I'm 23 years old, and we made over 90,000 last year, and the past 3 years have paid just over 17,000 in TAXES. More than what most of the people contribute who complain constantly about it being " Not RESPONSIBLE" Anonymous #1. What'd they pay in taxes last year? 200? what?

The point of assistance is to use it when you honestly need it with the intent to better yourself and become a contributer to society. There are people who abuse it, and make others look bad, shame on them.

So anyone who wants to tell us we weren't responsible people because we once used Medicad can shove it because now we make more in one month than you pay in taxes in one year. That's with just with one of us working too. So that's not a combined salary. It's solo. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• AMEN to that Skepticchick!! You tell it. I love people like you, you make my day happy!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 2:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Because people who have never needed help don't know what it is like and judge based on ignorance.
    Anonymous

• For the love of...Not responsible? Okay. My best friend has a MASTERS in education, lost her job because of lay offs and now gets public assistance. Her husband is disabled.

Unfortunately, those who DO abuse the system give those of us who are NOT abusing the system a really bad reputation.
    Anonymous

• Thank you Peekalou.

It's so true, people get all pissy, and rant about these "irresponsible low lives" letting their ignorance get the best of them. Now I can just laugh because we once needed it, used it, and now pay more a year in taxes than some of the pissy ranters who complain and make fun of the users, make in a year.

I think shame on the people who abuse their stamps and assistance. Ones who don't ever try to get off the assistance. I can't imagine how it would be to live within the acceptable bracket for assistance. It's no fun.

It's not like ALL people who need the help are stupid, abusers, addicts, irresponsible. They're our neighbors, our friends, our family. If you're religious, they're gods children.... If you wanna go on making fun and putting down others, it's only a judgement of your character and the kind of person you are. Good for you.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Even to the abusers of the system, it's none of our business. I have 7 children because 4 of them are nieces and nephews of my sister and brother in law who once died in Iraq and the other committed suicide shortly after. I have a masters in music education, but have 3 children of my own to support. My husband is a master diesel technician but just had to take a 50% pay cut to keep his job. We need the benefits more, so the pay cut was worth it until something better can come along. We don't make enough money for a family of 9, but food stamps definitely help. We get eyes rolled at us for being well dressed (kept nice from our previous better days), good shoes on our kids, warm coats, and we buy mostly healthy food. We don't waste anything we eat and are surviving, but without them, we would struggle.

You never know anyones story, and you never know who deserves it and who doesn't unless you work for the government.
    Anonymous

• We qualified for free lunches for our 3 children at school. Taking PA isn't what we wanted to do but something we had to do. I see nothing wrong with assistance. And to Ms. responsible. My DH was active duty military and I was in school. That's what the military pays. Is that being irresponsible?
    Anonymous