Why is black always portrayed as bad?

I was pissed to hear a child tell her mother that black ment the bad side, and white ment the good side.

When did that start? Do ppl really not know that that is absolutely backwards?
Black is the unity of all colors (colors are rays of streched energy). In fact white is the abscence of all colors.

White is the color of ashes, and use to be symbolic for death. But somehow black became the color of death. Black became the color of fear, but why?
Ppl are afraid of darkness, but why? Even the lable "black" ppl/person still raises a brow in suspicion.

And in many religions black is bad, so Im asking why? Who made that decision?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 2:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's just a western culture thing. I don't know it's origins, but I know it's not world wide.

In China red is the wedding color, and white is the funeral color.
    Anonymous

• Hmmmm I dont know, I always have liked black, i wear it often :) It is slimming and goes with anything and unlike white it isnt dirty within 3 minutes of wearing it.

It would be interesting to find out why black has become a bad thing, although most people I know do not think of black in a bad way.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I understand why that would upset you, but many things have been listed with colors. Green with envy, anger is often red (face red with rage), when you are blue, you are sad, etc. but in regards to religion, I'm not sure. I was looking at the verses in Revelation 6 about the 4 horses, but it was different than I remembered. The white horse had a crown, the red horse related to killing, the black horse actually was judgment (with a pair of balances in his hands) and the horse representing death was "pale". So I can't answer like I thought. I'm glad you brought it up and look forward to other answers.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• it varies by culture.

as for Christianity, light=good light=white. dark=evil dark=black.
    Anonymous

• Black is the unity of all colors (colors are rays of streched energy). In fact white is the abscence of all colors.

You have that backwards. Black happens when every color of light is absorbed. White happens when every color of light is reflected. Color only exists when there is light, because color is light, and the light is what you are seeing, not the object. That's why the darker a room is, the harder it is to distinguish between the color of objects. You can control colors by mixing pigments to cause the light to reflect in the manner you want, but that's because the pigments are absorbing those frequencies instead of reflecting them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i wondered the same thing, hmmm. I dont know why, but i looooooove my black husband.
    Anonymous

• From what I remember it dates back to the Renaissance. It comes from the thought that God is Light... Therefore, the Dark must be the opposite. Hell, at that point was often pictured as dark black or blue (being cold and without the suns warmth). From that came the idea that evil resided in the dark because it was far from God... So, terms like Black Magick, or Black Energy and even the idea of a Black Cat being evil all make sense by that theory... However, we would hope that this has changed since then... It's unfortunate that it has not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• NP you are right about that, but I am an artist and it is backwards.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• But when you look at it literally - darkness is the absence of light - it's kind of self explanatory why dark is portrayed as bad.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• We have rich literary history world wide that defines emotion with color. Carl Jung did a great deal of work explaining archetypes and primal knowledge to try to answer this question.

Darkness and night time are caused by sunlessness. The sun was recognized by MANY cultures globally (before Judaism, Christianity, and Islam were developed) as the bringer of life. Solar worship is the origination of whiteness, light, brightness being deified.

This is not a racial thing. The peoples who engaged in solar worship came in all colors. Once written language became standard, the oral history of art and poetry continued the tradition of solar worship via color association, even after the development of non-astral focused faiths.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2010