If we separate music from religion, do we cut the masses?

Religion, it teaches us how to behave, and how to live. Its a guide to aid lifes journey (for some). But with religion comes emotions. Emotions that are taught to be related to a particular God/dess, whatever.

Music - I belive that music feeds the spirit, and ifluences the mind. In music, we find connections, we relate, and many literally manifest the lyrics.

In church/temple/study, ect. the music plays in the background of the preacher as he ends his serman, the music plays in the begining to get you in the mood to recieve a word from the Lord, and the music plays when they call for new comers to go to the altar/accept Christ Jesus(or whoever else). If the music has no effect, why play it? Even the smallest church has a musical section.
The emotions created to stimulate the part of the brain that relates to the supernatural are directly related to the influence of music. So are they(emotions) artificial?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 2:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Even the smallest church has a musical section.

Actually DH and I were invited to a church that does not have music, it is something they do not allow. It was so weird.

I do agree with this.........Music - I belive that music feeds the spirit.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Actually DH and I were invited to a church that does not have music, it is something they do not allow. It was so weird.
    -----------------------
    interesting...I like that. I think that it gives the members of that church an advantage of mental stimulation.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• The angels sing so why shouldn't we? For when we sing we pray twice.
    Anonymous

• If you are Christian, music is a part of worship God set up in ancient Israel. Music was also part of the early Christian congregation. I would think if music were not supposed to be part of worship God would not have directed that it is.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think music can invite communion with the Holy Spirit, but I don't think it can "create" that interaction of it's own powers just out of the notes.

I mean, I've attended churches where the music made me feel adrenaline, but not the Holy Spirit.
    Anonymous

• From my perspective, music is not something that we came up with. Music and praise are constantly going on in heaven right now. There are angels in heaven that praise God day and night. "Holy Holy Holy is the LORD God Almighty." God gave us the capability, inteligence, and creativity to express ourselves through music. It IS a way for us to express our thoughts and emotions, and love.

I don't think that what I feel during praise and worship is artificial at all. I feel that way when I read the Word of God, or when I feel a breakthrough in prayer. People sing the songs all the time and feel nothing, their minds wander and they think of lunch or the guy's bald head in front of them. The feeling only happens as we begin to focus our hearts on God, and His majesty. It has much less to do with the quality of the "music" and much more to do with the condition of our hearts.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2010