Is this really necessary?

I've been walking every day and doing some ab workouts in the morning to get back in shape after having my baby. This morning my DH tried to convince me I need to do some arm-strengthening exercises, too. I tried to tell him I do that all day picking up my 5-month-old! I'm not body building, just trying to look halfway decent again. He got irritated when i wouldn't listen to him! Am I being a wimp?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I'd only say you're being a wimp if you don't tell your hubby to SHUT THE HELL UP! :)
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 3:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• No, my DH does the same thing. He was a wrestler in high school and on the football team, so every time I start dieting/exercising, he seems to think he's my personal trainer. I'm like "Hello, I did this before I even met you, I don't need your help!" LOL.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 3:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I would tell him thanks but STFU
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• No...

Being a mom, is a work out bet many moms would agree.

I think it's great you're taking on as much as you are. That's a great thing all and in of itself. You do what you find comfort in. Tell your hubby, thanks for the advice, you can offer it, however I'm not always going to take it.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You should exercise and get in shape to be healthy or because you want to. Your husband doesn't need to be telling you what to do. If you want his advice you can ask.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Your husband is probably right, using hand weights and excercising your arms to get them as tone as the legs and abs.

Answer by older at 3:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think lifting a baby uses certain muscles only. I am lifting two babies and I can tell the muscles under my arm are not being used because there is a lot of slack there.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 3:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• no LOL :) you're fine. I counted lifting baby + groceries and normal housework as my upper body exercises too.

you will get better results and enjoy how you look better if you do tone your arms too though.

there is a big difference in toning and body building! just look up toning exercises if you want to appease him :)
    Anonymous

• picking up your child is not the same as working your arms, it may feel like it is to you but it isnt. When your actually working your arms you are isolating those muscles and focusing on working them. Just like a day of house work doesnt take the place of your normal workout, you still need to do your regular workout.

Sounds like he was only trying to help and you jumped his rear. From his point of view he was probably offering advice that your toning certain areas and not others and was trying to help. Women need to stop jumping to conclusions sometimes they really are just trying to be helpful.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Sorry, but lifting a 5 month old is not a workout. If you truly want to get toned, you need to do push ups, as well as isolation exercises for your biceps, triceps, lats, etc..If you talked to a trainer they would tell you the same thing that your hubby told you. He offered you some great advice and instead of listening and absorbing you acted like a child and told him to shove it.
    Strength training will tone and also rev your muscles for 8 hours after the workout.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2010