Do I still owe the money?

I had a baby in June 2009 at a birth center in San Antonio, Texas. The cost of the birth is 4000 dollars. I paid 2000 dollars in advance and was supposed to pay the rest after the birth. 4 months after the birth I have still not received my bill for the remainder, so I contacted the birth center and found out that the owner sold it to someone else. The new owner said that because the birth took place under the old owner, the new owner can not accept the money. I contacted the old owner via phone and email, no response. The new owner also contacted the old owner and supposedly got a hold of her and she said that she will send me the bill soon. Well, that was 2 months ago. The baby is now 8 1/2 months old and I still haven't paid the bill. I would love to go on a vacation with the money if no one wants it. What is the statute of limitation on owning someone money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes you still owe the money technically, but if she never gets around to sending you a bill, that's her mistake. Don't worry about it until you get a bill. Put the money in a savings account just in case, let it gain interest at least while you're waiting.
    Anonymous

• Contact a lawyer. Document what you've done as far as contacting them, etc .
    Anonymous

• I would keep trying. I would also consider doing a credit check on yourself to make sure it hasn't been reported. If it has you can get the contact info through them and then let the person in charge have it for reporting you!
    Anonymous

• Save your money. A bill will eventually come. I got a medical bill ONE YEAR after DD was born. Yeah I HAD TO pay it.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You still owe the money but contact everyone involved with a written letter and keep a copy for yourself. No one will document a phone call but a letter is proof you tried to pay. Get a copy of your credit report and make sure it's not on there
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• When you take over (or buy) someone elses businesses you get the assets AND the liability. So you still owe the birthing center that money regardless of who owns it. There's a good chance that the new owner hasn't sorted through all the paper work yet and doesn't know that you owe the money. Either way hold onto that money. When the bill comes you'll want to be ready.
    Anonymous

• I'm with Kairismama - hang on to the money just in case - don't touch it til baby's a couple years old or you find out that you really truly don't owe it. I dare bet that if you spend it on a vacation you'll come home to a lovely bill and have no money to pay it!
    Anonymous

• many insurance companies will not pay claims after one year of no bill...but they have that in writing before any payments are ever made. i agree with pp's, don't spend the money yet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2010