• In the Spotlight:

Can a 2 month old have asthma???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• it is possible, but it is also possible that reflux can be causing the same/similar symptoms. Take the baby to a doctor for a real diagnosis.
    Anonymous

• my daughter at three months had multiple coughs, colds infections of the resp. nature. She was hospitalized and then found to have the r s virus. A home nebulizer worked best for her after that until early elementary years when she was swtiched to a space and inhalers.

she was tested at that age of three months for acid reflux and it was negative. And she was diagnosed with asthma finally about age 8. A baby your baby's age, like my daughter at 3 mos old, does best on a nebulizer not oral meds usually for resp. illnesses that are chronic.

My daughter still has asthma now as a teen brought on by colds etc. no allergies.
    Anonymous

• Yes. It is very important for babies with asthma to be breastfed. Very important. My 3 sons have a rare genetic disease and also asthma. I spent 25 years going to a major children's hospital pulmonary clinic with them. My oldest son had to be in ICU with his first attack.

Babies and toddlers that are breastfed do so much better than formula fed babies and have fewer hospitalizations and complications like pneumonia. If you are breastfeeding it is important to make sure you keep doing so even during a hospitalization. Even if that means staying 24/7.

If you didn't breastfeed then it's not too late and you can relactate.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I have taken him to the er twice. He does also have acid reflux. I am also planning on taking him to his own doctor.
    Tylersmama295

Answer by Tylersmama295 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I don't think they call it Asthma in babies so young though... this sort of thing is not something we CM Moms can or could try to diagnose at our computers, the consequences are too severe. Take her to the Dr and tell them your concerns.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• NO. A baby that young would not have "asthma". A baby could have what is called reactive airway disease, which means that they can have wheezing with colds and such... but they would not have asthma (the reactive airway might be asthma later on in life if it doesn't resolve with age)
    If you are noticing troubles breathing in a 2 month old... if it has just happened and has never been a problem before, it's likely a virus, there are several illnesses going around right now that can cause wheezing. If it's something you notice frequently then I would check what your baby is eating... there might be problems if your baby is formla fed or you might need to cut things out of your diet if you breastfeed, if they baby seems to spit up a lot you can have wheezing because of reflux, if anyone smokes, even if they do it outdoors, they could be causing problems.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I don't know what your plan is now for his reflux... but make sure you are doing these things...
    Small frequent feedings
    Burp often
    Keep him upright for 30 mins after feedings
    Sleep at an incline... a bouncy seat is a nice angle, or pillows UNDER his matress to make the matress more upright... if you don't have a danny sling, ask your pediatrician about getting one.
    And then medications as your pediatrician orders to help with the reflux

I think if you can get the reflux under control you'll find the wheezing and coughing improve.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• yes they can when i was born my mom told me i would stop breathing or have a hard time breathing and she took me to the hospital and they gave her a nebulizer and she always had to have one on me very scary i still have trouble to this day! its not common but possible! just talk to your dr. and keep a very good eye on that baby
    Anonymous