going back to work vs stay at home momma

I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years now, anyhow, I am considering returning to work full time. I have a 1 year old who would need full time daycare and a 7 year old that would need just before school. I have a few people lined up my costs for daycare would be about $150/ week and then I would have fuel costs of about $40 a week so I would already be out $200 a week for just that. If after those costs I were to bring home roughly $800 a month do you think it is worht going back to work? I don't have to work we can manage all our bills fine, but I would like to be able to go on vacations etc. in which with just my husband working we really don't have the ability to do.. suggestions please on helping me make my decision.. how much bring home money would you want after daycare and gas in order to go back to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's always positive going to work, you will be a good role model for your kids
    maja2007

Answer by maja2007 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• In my opinion wanting to go on "vacations" is a frivolous reason to go back to work and have someone else take care of your kids. If you needed the money to make ends meet, that's one thing, but for anything other than that, especially in this economy, I think you should be saving your money if you still want to work.

I was a SAHM for 8 years. I just went back to work this fall as a teacher, now that my children are in full-day school.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• that is a good question me and my hubby are going thou the same thing. i figured as much as we are going to spend on day care and gas , food for them whie at day care. it is going to be more then what hubby will be making.For me there is no point. but every one is different.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 4:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I wont put my kids in daycare to go back to work. We can absolutely afford life without any income i could bring in, and i dont want my kids in school longer then they have to. They deserve the 5 or 6 years of freedom that i am able to give them. Ill go back to work when they are in school, and 'be a good role model' at that point. I don't agree that it's always positive to go back to work. Its always positive to spend as much time with your kids as possible before they go out in the world on their own.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 4:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I was just using vacations as an example.. just so you know.. lol I think making memories with your kids is a huge factor in their childhood and going on vacations and exploring doing fun things, I know you can do stuff for free but after while of doing the same stuff it kinda gets boring.. lol I don't want to send my kids to childcare but part of me says that it is good for them to be in a enviornment without their parents too.. that is why I am so confused on this topic!! Thanks for you help!
    Anonymous

• Going back to work is a great idea... there is nothing wrong with childcare and sometimes it's good for the kids to get to know other kids or other adults. They can learn a lot from it. I think $800 extra dollars a month is worth it. Good luck on whatever choice you make :o)
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I'd go for $800 EXTRA month. I already work, for we need the double income. If you are interested in working, and it would financially be worth it, go for it. There is nothing wrong with that.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You can always work from home, become a birth doula, a daycare provider, medical transcriptist, pampered chef consultant, party lite consultant etc. Those will also have the ability to make the 800 extra and no daycare expenses and limited fuel expenses.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• If you can put money away for your retirement and two college funds without working, then you can continue to stay home.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• 800 a month would be worth it. I am working full time.Right now my whole check goes to daycare and insurance but we need insurance. My daughter loves going to daycare.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2010