Will you get sick if you consume alcohol when you're pregnant?

Okay, so my hubby and I are TTC#2. I took a test yesterday and it was negative. I'm so irregular I haven't had a period in months. Anyway we went out with a few friends last night for the first time in at least 2 years and I drank. It felt good to just get away from the kids and I guess I let loose. Well today I've done nothing but throw up at the smell of food and I've been dizzy and nauseated. I've never felt like this after a night of drinking and I probably drink twice a year aside from communion and a wine cooler at family things. Could I be pregnant and this be my body's way of telling me before a positive HPT?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• maybe you have a hangover? I don't know I was trying to get pregnant with my first baby I drank like I think 2 days before finding out I was pregnant and I was fine I don't drink often, but did that day and I was fine so maybe it is something else. Not sure if it could though or not. I just know I was fine.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I'd go get a test at the docs. It's so hard to even guess here. So many things seem like morning sickness. So many prego symptoms, people that who aren't preog get. It's just so hard to tell sorry.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You know what? that is a good question....when I had my 4th baby we were trying really hard and I took one of those early prediction tests 4 days before my period..it was negative....so me and dh went out drinking and the next day I was sick, but it was different.....Then he opened a bag of cheetoes, I gagged at the smell!! but my test said I wasn't pregnant so I blew it off.
    5 days later, I started craving hot and spicey food! could not get enough!! lol. I figured since my period was due it was hormones. Well We went out again, the next day I was really sick and achy then I had a funny feeling.....and since I always had pregnancy tests on hand I took one and it came up positive!!
    I was stumped because 5 days earlier I wasn't, my period was due any moment and the test was positive!! So hubby went out got 2 more tests and now our son is 5 yrs old. Hope my story helps you out some. Sorry the reply was long.
    Anonymous

• Sadly I think deep down you know the answer here. You are sick because you have a monster hangover. You did a test yesterday and it was definitely negative. Morning sickness etc doesn't usually kick in til around 6 wks, by which time the preg test would have been glowing it was so positive! I think this is your body's way of telling you to not drink so much in one day! Sorry
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You might be I took a test turned neg took one 3 days later it was positive you have to have enough hcg for the test to indicate. You could have a hangover as well since you don't drink often. I would say because you are TTC that you shouldn't be drinking at all alcohol can cause irregularity with cycles, and problems with babies.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Before I knew I was pregnant with my first that's how I guessed I was pregnant..It was New Years Eve and hubby and I were celebrating and I could not even finish a beer , it just tasted so horrible I could not get it down..

Anonymous

• It could be. Over Thanksgiving Break 2008, I went out to the bars a few nights with some friends. I usually had a pretty high tolerance for alcohol...being in college and all...and could keep up even with the guys! Well those nights, I would have 2 or 3 drinks and was completely wasted. I was puking everywhere and hardly remember anything that happened that night. Well turns out, I was 3 weeks pregnant and didn't even know. It was like my body was warning me to not have anymore than 3 drinks. So it is possible!
    Anonymous

• I guess that depends on the person and their tolerance. Some have absolutely no tolerance. And then being pregnant adds a whole host of other issues to it. Your body and hormones change. Who knows how that effects alcohol consumption. And hopefully this is kept to a bare minimum, if at all, while pregnant.
    lara33

Answer by lara33 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You shouldn't get sick unless it is just one of those things *you* can't stand while pg.. It is completely safe to drink a drink every so often while pg and will not cause you to get sick. However, everyone has different craving and sick foods.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 7:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• if you are trying to conceive you should not be drinking and it is not ok to try while pregnant .. it can harm your baby.
    Anonymous