Pagan Mamas... I need some advice...

I am a big fan of "historical television" I love the History Channel and other similar "documentary based" entertainment...

As of late I have begun watching shows like "Cities of the Underground" and "Mystery Quest" I love them. But I am bothered at the amount of negativity that is consistently being attached to the word Pagan, in an effort to be "spooky." The idea that there is some negative energy surrounding these graves because they were "Pagan Burial Ground" is simply appalling to me. While Ancient civilizations were mostly Pagan their religious beliefs and much of their Political activity were in fact separate... To me using the term Pagan as if it were interchangeable with the word Uncivilized is offensive to the millions of Pagans round the world.

Here is my question... I want to start a group of pagans or a site that will enable us to open the channels of communication to these entertainment companies... cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The idea being that when enough people speak up together the voices can't be ignored...

I know that the only way to change the prejudicial views surrounding Paganism is to speak up. So, that my friends is what I want to do! But I am afraid that most will not see it as "worth it."

Do you think it's a cause worth fighting for? Or is it something we should all just deal with and get over as a part of life??

To me, the rights of any group, start only once there is a general level of respect...

Women, Blacks, Asians, Muslims... Have (and are) all fighting for their rights... Why shouldn't we?
    Anonymous

• I agree with you, but unfortuneately, for now, I think it's a losing battle. The reason is that there is a LOT of complacency in the US, and most people are tired of this group or that group clammoring for something to change. Also, we are an extreme minority. 80% of the American population identifies as Christian, and we all know how Christians feel about Pagans. The majority of the rest are Jewish, Muslim, Islamic, Buddist, Hindu, etc, many of whom also don't like Pagans very much. My dad always said it was wiser to lie in wait for the right time to start the battle than to pounce at the first sign of trouble, to make sure you had enough support and outrage at the problem. Most people don't see a problem with the way Pagans are viewed, so until there are enough Pagans or at least enough Pagans who are angry with this problem.... we're kinda SOL :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• "pagan" with a little p is just a word that means non-Christian/ non-Jew/ non-Muslim. I don't think asking to change a 1600 year old language is going to work.

The best thing people who practice a marginalized religion can do is be good stewards of their faith. Practicing tolerance of others, educating people about the peace of the faith, and not painting other faiths in a bad light are the best things anyone can do.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Personally I'm tired of having to be so politically correct. I can't say anything that may be offensive to somebody. I honestly think the best thing to do is try to educate people. I would write to the film maker and complain but other than that don't ask people to be tolerant of another special cause. I hope this doesn't sound rude or like I'm bashing. That is not my intention.
    Anonymous

• I think perhaps you are confusing Pagan and pagan. Pagan with a capital P refers to modern Neo-Pagan religions. That's different from pagan with a small p. That word has long been used to refer to anyone who does not follow a JudeoChristian/Abrahamic religion. Those shows are not referring to pagans, not Pagans, so I don't take offense. It has little to do with me or my religion.

I feel I should also point out that ANY old burial ground is treated that way, not just pagan burial grounds. Look at all of the supposed hauntings that are attributed to the fact that there is a Native American burial ground nearby, or an old cemetery where the bodies were never removed.

So, I wouldn't join a group with that focus, but there are Pagan rights groups that I have been involved with or support, such as Lady Liberty League and Pagan Educational Network.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Good luck fighting Hollywood.

(...and, yes, that includes documentarians.)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2010