Is it possible for a child over the age of one to die of SIDS-or is foul play involved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• A true SIDS diagnosis is made after a full investigation (supposed to, anyway). That means, parents get questioned, references like fam and neighbors, background check, they check medical records of the child and speak to pediatrician, FULL autopsy, toxicology and investigation of the scene of death. (Our son died of SIDS a yr ago at 2 months and we had to go through this, but it is normal, but I didn't know that at the time!)

If they do all of these things and foul play is ruled out, there is another cause of death. Not SIDS doesn't equal "some one killed the child"
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• foul play would mean that somebody else caused the death, SIDS is unlikely but unexplained stopping of breathing can happen at any age.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• children 5yrs and younger can die from sids. As to what you are saying about foul play.... well its been known to happen, for parents or someone else to kill their child. But most times its not the cause of death.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• SIDS can happen up to around 5. That does not mean a child's death doesn't need to be examined, or an autopsy done because parents do kill children. But SIDS can be a cause.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I was reading about the older cases of SIDS, called something else I can't remember at the moment, but basically the same thing and it said the oldest known case was of a 12 year old. Though, I do think most of them are younger, like 5 and below, though still REALLY rare.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I know a family in my town had a child who died at 4 yrs. Lay down to have an afternoon nap with her 2 yr old brother on a mattress in the lounge. She just didn't wake up. No foul play, all the investigations done, just crap, and sad and so unfair. That was the first time I realised it wasn't just a "baby" thing.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2010