Low iron in a 15 month old..

My little guy was tested last week for his iron and lead levels because it hadn't been done since he was born. The lead came back fine but his iron was still a little low. This was no surprise to me. It runs in my family and only a select few have had to actually take extra iron supplements for it. They suggested more red meat and beans. He already has enough problems with really stinky gas so i hate to give him more beans.. Any other ideas??

Mamakat90

Asked by Mamakat90 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sesame has more iron than beef.
    Green leafy veggies are full of iron-- spinach, kale, sprouts, broccoli
    Cook in a cast iron skillet, even if you're just sauteing veggies
    Make sure he's getting enough Vitamins C, D, and calcium

Not everyone absorbs well from pills. The iron in veggies is generally easier to absorb than the iron in meat.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I've had low iron all my life, as do my kids, and have actually heard the opposite - that the iron in meat is more readily absorbed than the iron in veggies. It has to do with whether it's "heme" or "non heme", but I don't remember the specifics from my Dr. They always told me to eat more red meat rather than eating more veggies.

Answer by missanc at 7:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Eat meat and vitamin C at the same time. It helps the body be able to use the iron.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• raisins and sardines are high in iron too, if your lo can handle them. i wouldn't avoid beans b/c of smelly gas. you may want to consider introducing probiotics into your lo's diet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Don't give him milk and the iron containing foods at the same time because dairy cuts down the amount of iron absorbed. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron more readily. Many cereals and other foods are iron fortified. Use cast iron skillets to cook with. I use Enfamil Next Step formula (for toddlers) twice a day because it has iron in it that he wasn't getting from regular milk. Malto-meal and cream of wheat have good iron content if I remember right. Ask your doc how much iron he should be getting in a day, then be sure to pay attention to food labels so you can be sure he's getting at least that much. Ok that's all I've got.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010