What age should kids stop drinking from sippy cups?

My son will be 5 this summer and still uses them often. He can drink from a regular cup, but my 1 yr old can't so the 1 yr old always has one. The older one just drinks from the younger one's cup whenever he gets a chance. I have not made a huge fuss about my older son giving it up. I have always justified it because it is much cleaner (don't have to worry about spills), I can take it with us anywhere we go, and we live in Arizona so dehydration is a serious threat so I have to keep something on hand for him to drink all the time. I don't know if it is bad that he still drinks from one. Every parenting article or advice about giving up the sippy cup tells you to just start using sports bottles. That seems like the exact same thing to me! There is no difference between the sippy cups we have or sports bottles. I don't understand how that would make anything better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think at 2 they should be only given water bottles and cups to drink out of, they adjust quickly and so what if you have to clean spills my 20 month old cleans up her own spills with help.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I live in AZ too and know what you mean about taking water everywhere.

The problem with sippy cups is how the sippy is. There are certain kinds of sippy parts that aren't good for kids mouths and development and speech. Straws are fine.

I think insulated stainless steel is the way to go. I am very picky about my drinks. They are more expensive but keep drinks cool for a long time. We will use an adult insulated stainless steel container with a straw hole for my 16 mo grandson. People are surprised when we go places that he has such a big drink!

I haven't found the perfect one for him yet. Kids ones are usually single wall.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My daughter drinks from a regular cup and she's 2.5. I give her sippy cups in the car, and when we go out to dinner. But other than that, she drinks from a regular cup. I think at age 5 kids should DEFINITELY be off a sippy cup. That's a little old.
    Anonymous

• my daughter has been off the sippy on only drinking from a regular cup since right after her 2nd birthday.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• We are currently in the process of transitioning our youngest from a sippy to a regular cup - he's 15 months and would much rather drink out of a regular cup like the rest of the family than from his sippy. My older kids are 8, 10, and 12 and they have their own sports bottles that we fill with water for trips to the park, playground, etc. and my son gets his sippy then, but at mealtimes we are working on "real" cups.
    Generally speaking I think between 2-3 is a good time to stop the sippy.

Answer by missanc at 7:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I don't think there is an "appropriate" age and wouldn't stress over it. My kids could drink from regular cups, but continued to use sippy cups in places where I didn't want spills, in the car, etc. Like you said, lots of kids and adults drink from sports bottles and travel mugs which are often pretty much the same thing as sippy cups. (I actually call them adult sippy cups, as a matter of fact. lol)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My youngest hasn't used one regularly since he was about 2 - his choice. All my kids have a camelbak jug to take along when we go somewhere - much different than a sippy, because I even use a camelbak regularly, both at home and out and about. We only put water in them. IMO 5 is way too old for a sippy.
    Anonymous

• My 3 yo has been drinking from a cup since age 2, maybe a little before. HOWEVER, I will give her sippy cups in the car. No spills, no mess.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My kids stopped drinking from them at all different ages but my 22mnth old has already gave it up!! He can drink out of a regular cup. I think no later the 3.
    Kristi_5

Answer by Kristi_5 at 4:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2010