What rights should the father have

if his unmarried girlfriend wants an abortion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• None
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• None. It's her body and who knows if she can trust him enough to stick around. While I am against abortion except in certain situations, I don't think the father really has a say-so in the end.
    Anonymous

• I personally think that he deserves the ability to say he want to keep the baby, unfortunately the world seems to think men shouldn't have a say, but without them we wouldn't have children.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think he should have equal rights. If he wants the child he should have every right to keep that baby. I do think he should pay at least half of the medical bills and other expenses for her while she is pregnant. (Then the mom should have to pay him child support - since it works the other way - if she wanted the baby and he didn't, she wouldn't be forced to abort it, AND he would still have to pay support after the baby was born).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• In some states, married women must report a pregnancy and have their husband sign off on the abortion before it can be performed, even if the baby isn't the husband's baby. This is very disturbing to me because homicide is the number one cause of death among pregnant women in the US.

Every relationship is different. For people in a relationship that they could have conflict or danger if they were to become pregnant, the issue of father's "rights" is meaningless. Those women need to seek assistance immediately.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think he deserves a lot of say in it. I believe the only time abortion is acceptable is if the mother is 100% going to die without it. That's it, any other reason is selfish, in my opinion. I do believe though if a women is thinking about getting an abortion it should be an agreed upon decision with the mother and father.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• He has the right to take her to court to force her to keep the child.
    However, in most states the case is dropped, because it is the women's choice.
    Even if the two were married it is the women's choice whether to keep or abort the baby.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i think if he says he doesn't want it then he should be able to sign a paper during the pregnancy stating he wants nothing to do with the child and he shouldn't have to pay child support. if after receiving this paper the woman decides to keep it she should have to raise it on her own.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I disagree with angevil53. He should have worn a condom if he didn't want to have to worry about paying child support.
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• and she should have made him wear one if she didn't want a baby.

The choice should be shared equally.
    MrsSeptember

Answer by MrsSeptember at 8:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010