What do you know about Asperger's Syndrome?

I have googled it and know the basics. I am just looking for "real mom" experiences with it. I would like to learn as much about it as I can. Thanks.

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 6:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Greendivamom.com

is a very cool web magazine started by a woman with an autistic son. She brings on writers who have experience with autism across the spectrum.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My girlfriend's son has it. Sammy has been in therapy and although he has some trouble focusing and can't sit still for long periods of time I don't think you would realize anything is wrong. He is highly intelligent and articulate.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I have it and I have a really hard time with social cues and communication.
    Anonymous

• My dd has it. She has trouble with communication and sitting still. She is loving and sweet and SUPER SUPER smart.

She has been reading since she was about 2.5. ;) She amazes us everyday.

But if you met her you probably wouldn't even notice anything other than her beauty! ;)
    Anonymous

• My 10 year old son has it, but you would never know it to meet him. He is able to communicate on an incredibly high level about math/science subjects that most kids know little about, using words that most kids his age have never heard. He is classified as "highly gifted" in math but has trouble with reading comprehension, specifically related to nonfiction texts, and organizing his thoughts on paper.
    All that being said, he is extremely high functioning, even for an Aspie and is completely mainstreamed in school with no resource pullout so he's not a "typical" case, but I'm not really sure there is one.

Answer by missanc at 7:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I was diagnosed with it as a teenager. It is a very mild form of autism. It makes it difficult to build relationships. Also little things really bother me like a clock ticking, or even crickets at night. In my case it just made my senses more sensitive. I have to learn how to socialize with people more then others do, but I am still smart, it doesn't make anyone dumb just really sensitive.
    jayden_john

Answer by jayden_john at 7:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I have it. Most people with it are of average or above average intelligence. We have tons of social issues. We tend to miss social cues, like when to say please and thank you. We tend to not know if we're annoying someone, and I personally have a lot of trouble making and maintaining eye contact. We're most comfortable being loners because we just don't get along with people. We may come off as aloof, spacey, or even mean, but we don't even realize it. I have to watch myself, or I'll look like an idiot. Some also are meticulous about very specific things, like being interested in only one type of music, and being obsessed with only it and no other kinds of music.

There's a group for moms who have it if you search for it. We're all very understanding and will gladly answer any questions =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I work with children of all degrees of autism. What exactly are you wanting to know?
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2010