Vasectomy Questions

How much was it?
Did insurance cover it?
How did your husband handle it, did he complain afterwards, have much pain, anything?
Has any of your husbands resented you for having encouraged him to do it bc he had a bad experience with it?

I am trying to convince my dh to consider it, but I want it to be his decision. I don't want him resenting me. I can't handle birth control and getting my tubes tied is the only other option, which everyone says is worse than a vesectomy.

Thanks for any advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Health

• It will cost between $500 and $1000, insurance should cover it, my ex was uncomfortable that day and then was fine.

We got divorced soon after and he never got to have kids. However, he never remarried and he is now 58 so it didn't matter. Much easier, safer, cheaper for the man.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• We paid like 300 after insurance.My husband had the old procedure where they cut them (they tear now). He was sore for about 3 days,and returned to work on day 4. After seeing me go thru the pregnancies and deliveries,he was more than willing to do it for us.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My husband wants to have it done. I keep holding him off. We are only 30, we have two wonderful children.

Its just scary for me b/c its so permanent. What if I change my mind later about having another one?

So for now, we are waiting until I am super sure!
    Anonymous

• How much was it? About $1500

Did insurance cover it? No.

He said it was a total piece of cake. In and out, no problems, almost no pain, very little swelling. He said the worst part was the smell of burning skin when they were cutting. He didn't feel anything though.

I didn't have to encourage him to do it. I had to ask him to wait until our youngest son was born before doing it. He couldn't wait to have it done! He did it the day after our son was born (we were 26). It's been four and a half years and he'll still tell you it's the best thing he's ever done, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You have another option. You can get Essure done. It can be done in office and there is no chance of self reversal like with a tubal ligation or vasectomy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My husbands vasectomy was 100% covered by insurance. I didn't have to convince him to do it. It was what he wanted. He was back to work the next day with minimal pain and just a little bruising. He didn't resent me but I still to this day resent him. It wasn't what I wanted and felt tricked into it. Knowing that it has caused so much resentment on my part I wouldn't say you should be pushing him into doing it. But as far as the procedure if you have medical it should be covered and it is such a simple procedure that pain and recovery should not be an issue for him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• my fil had one done that did not work, his second one worked, but he lost his libido. there are studies that show a connection between vasectomies and prostate cancer. we are not going to choose surgery for birth control.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010