Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I adopt my husband's son?

He has lived with us for almost 3 yrs now. His biological mother does not pay child support. No letters. Last phone call was last year in feb. He is 6 yrs old. I would loe to adopt him but don't know how. How much will it cost? Hubby is in the military, can they help? How do I get the forms? We live in NC. His bio mom is in OK. Any Information would help. Thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by happilymarried at 6:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Bio mom would have to give up parental rights first. Good luck on that one. Call an adoption attorney and ask how much it would cost in your state. I called an adoption center and talked to their attorney for free to get information I needed in a case. They are very informative and helpful.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

  • Ditto

    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

  • I think in most states, a year without any contact constitutes abandonment and her rights can be terminated. Paying CS counts as contact, but you said BM isn't. Definitely talk to an attorney. Many give free consultations. They won't give legal advice without a retainer, but they can at least tell you if it's doable. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

  • As long as Dad has full custody of the child you can petition the court. The way a friend of mine did it was that she had to run an add in the local paper where the other parent's last known residence was stating that all parental rights would be terminated if said person did not dispute the order by such and such a date and time. If the biological father did not come forward then rights would be terminated and her husband was free to proceed with adoption. I don't know the law in your state but that might be an option for you.


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • Go to your county courthouse and ask about terminating her rights due to abandonment & step parent adoption. Laws very per state.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • No iDEA but being A MOM myself i have no iDEA HOW A MOM can just walk away from their child, let alone the dad have custody. I never know how moms do not live with their kids, sorry caps lock kept getting stuck....Good luck and so glad this little boy hAS YOU.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

  • The first is correct bio mom has to give up her parental rights first.

    Answer by musicmom08 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.