Abusive cousin

My Nephew is 2 and he is really ruff and mean towards my children. My 20 month old handles it ok but he still gets a punishment, but my 6 month old is terrified of him. Today he threw a shoe at her. I keep a very close eye on her when he is around but he still somehow finds a way to get to her and when he does he has to hurt her. Its not really an attention thing, I dont think, but I really dont want to stop going over to my sisters. We only go there about once a month. What could we do to make him less abusive?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 6:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• there's nothing YOU can do, his parents need to do something!

I wouldn't go over there anymore and if she asks why, just explain your kids are terrified of your son and you don't want him hurting your children anymore.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your sister. My BIL's middle child that is suppose to be terrible. Mom at her wits end. When I went to visit I pointed it out that this is his way of getting attention from her. The biggest thing to change behavior is rewarding the positive behavior, using time out properly, and being consistent. All three do wonders on any child.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Yep, your sis has to do something. We had a similar situation. Gradually, all of the cousins stopped seeing a certain pair of brothers who were just awful. The parents finally got a clue and taught their kids some damn manners.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My sister does try and teach him not to do it. She scolds him and puts him in time out! Its not like she just sits there and lets him do it!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2010