I feel like a terrible mother, am I?

My dd had a case of strep on her bottom about 2.5 weeks ago.

Well her Dr gave her an antibiotic and I gave her maybe 3 doses and forgot about it until much later.

She was better and I was super busy.

Now it is back.... ;( I feel horrible....

I started her back on her meds....it doesnt expire until a year from now and like I said...there are only 3 or so doses missing.

Is that ok.

Do I deserve Worst mother of the year award? :( :( :( :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• no LOL just busy mom :) I bet every mother has done something like that! don't beat yourself up over it and just give her the meds as directed this time
    Anonymous

• I've done that with my son's ear infection antibiotics. =(
    Anonymous

• she'll be fine, if it comes back again then take her back to the dr. most infections will clear up on their own though, i think doc's over prescribe meds...but that's just me.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• No, unfortunately a lot of people do the same thing. Give her the rest completely and if it doesn't get better go back and get more.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Not giving your child the full dosage not only does not kill the virus/bacteria, it actually makes the remaining virus/bacteria stronger. The next round of antibiotics may not work unless it is stronger than the first round.

Don't do that again please.
    Anonymous

• Are you crazy! Not at all should you feel like the worst mother in the world. Mistakes are always going to be a given in motherhood. If a person is not making mistakes then they must not be a parent because I'm sure this wasn't your first and positive it wont be your last. Your little one is healthy and happy I'm sure and it's a mistake that can be fixed. Hope you are both feeling better soon.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I would not dwell on it, try to put it past you. This is what helps me to remember to give meds when my kids are on Rx meds (or have a cold and are taking cold meds) I put a small notebook down on the counter and mark down when I gave the meds. That way I can tell at a glance if they had all the does that day, and the notebook is in plain site and easy to spot- unlike medicine bottles that can be moved around or pushed to the back of the fridge.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:54 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• ooops typo --- I meant all the doses that day-- not does. sorry
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2010