Do you ever feel like you hate your mom?

Whenever I'm with or even think about my mom I feel like crap. She emotionally abuses me, has all of my life, and never says she's sorry. A couple of recent incidents have really added fuel to the fire and yes, there are some unresolved issues regarding my relationship with her. I feel like I have this growing feeling of resentment and hatred toward her. I just needed to vent. I'm going to make an appointment with my counselor this week to talk this over.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 6:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• i was the same way. my mother could never do wrong in her opinion. she's done nothing but hurt me my entire life. i was physically and emotionally abused by her up until i finally left. even now that i've left she still finds ways to manipulate me and hurt me. i don't love my mom and she's told me before that she doesn't love me. she's done this to all 4 of her children. none of us feel anything positive towards her. in my opinion she is not my mother. she never protected me, she only hurt me. i love my daughter so much and i can't even imagine how my mom can live with herself for what she did. i would never hurt my daughter in any way. i guess i learned how to be a mom from having such a horrible mother
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Many of us go through periods where we hate how mom acts or how we feel after she has some sort of episode. What I've learned is that we're all human. We are not perfect. We can't change them but we can change how we react to what they do. Sometimes they don't even realize what they are doing. Most abusive behavior is from a cycle of abuse they endured. Think of your children and stop that cycle. It will save them the torment you are going through and it will help you break from mom's negative influence on you. Funny how when they die we tend to remember more of the good than the bad. That's a good thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I hate my mother. There is no doubt in my mind that our issues will never be resolved. It's not worth my time.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 7:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I spent a lot of years with a tolerate/hate relationship with my mother. She's a toxic, useless, negative person, but it's not worth the drain on me to hate her. I cut her out of my life 3 or 4 years ago and it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. I'm just so much healthier without her in my life.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• No offense because I am sure there are awful mom's out there, but what I wouldn't give to have a fight with my mom. She passed away 20 years ago - on Mother's Day. She was a good mom though and I have no doubt she would have been a good grandmother and inlaw too.

I am sorry your relationship with your mom, and/or your mom sucks. Just be lucky you have a mom....
    Anonymous

• I have hated my mom my whole life. Just the way she acts like she has the best parenting advice even though she was the worst mother a kid could have. The way she is so helpless and has never been able to take care of herself. The way she depends on such a loser of a boyfriend and then expects me to rescue her when things go bad with him. My mom now has liver disease and may be in the last years of her still young life. I regret that I was so selfish and wish I had helped her when I knew she really needed help. It's not always easy to love our parent's unconditionally but when they are gone I'm sure we are going to wish we did. Hang in there and good luck.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• Oooh girl, yes. She knows exactly what do to to just PISS ME OFF. And even though I know she does this on purpose, I can't help but let my feathers get ruffled. I hate it but at the same time, GRRRRR she just makes me so mad. I just love it when she brings up shit from the past and throws my mistakes in my face...like that will actually change anything or make it all better. Whatever. Frickin' A!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her to death, but she really knows what buttons to push. I just don't get why. WHY does she do it? I mean, things are going fine and then she just has to make these frickin' comments that just ruin everything. I don't get it..so I stay away from her as much as possible. I don't wanna hurt her feelings, but I also don't like getting into fights with her. I don't enjoy it as much as she seems to. Distance is best for me and her. We get along way better the less we see of each other, lol.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 10:01 PM on Feb. 22, 2010