Midwife information?

I am curious fo rmy next pregnancy about having amidwife instead of an OB doc. And w ould prefer it to be the same person throughout the WHOLE pregnancy. WHere do I go to get a midwife? Does anyone know of any that are in the Denver/Aurora area...

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 6:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Most OB's have a midwife who works with them. I went to the OB throughout my first pregnancy (high risk so it had to be the OB) but his midwife actually delivered my daughter. I had met her before so I was okay with it but I am seeing her throughout this pregnancy at his office.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• There are different kinds of midwives. Also, there are different midwifery laws in different states.

Certified Nurse midwives deliver in hospitals and birthing centers. They follow you through a pregnancy from the first visit to delivery. They generally have an OB with whom they practice. That is usually your emergency doctor in the unlikely even that something goes wrong.

Google "certified nurse midwife" and your zip code. The OB practices that have them will come up.

Home birth midwives also follow their patient through the whole pregnancy. Home birthing is legislated state by state. Certifications are different for them. I LOVE my home birth midwife. I also have a CNM and OB who ignore me and I have them just for back up. I live in a state with few midwives.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I went to a birthing center where I saw 3 midwives during my pregnancy. They rotated you around so you would meet all 3, then you kind of hoped your favorite was on call when you went into labor! They also had a doctor on staff and he reviewed everyones file weekly and handled any complications.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• http://www.midwife.org/find.cfm to find a midwife
    http://www.dona.org/ to find a doula
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 2:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2010