sick sick kid?

ok so my son is almost four but since yesterday he has had a bad fever i got up at 2 and checked his temp and it was 101 and gave him tylonol then this morning it was 102.5 and gave him more med but ever since he has been sleeping and i got more tylonol and it was grape an he trew it all back up everything i give him he throws up what should i do? if i take him to the dr what will they do if anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like a virus to me.

If he cant keep his medicine down, go get some pain reducing suppositories. They help a lot and of course can not be thrown up.

I might call and talk with a nurse...but chances are he has a virus.
    Anonymous

• If you take him to the Dr. they will probably try to give him the medicine in a shot. If he is puking up everything though, they may want to put him on an IV at the hospital so he stays hydrated. My daughter, at 7 months, was running a fever for a day or two and refused her bottle. They put her on an IV for about 3-4 hours to keep fluids in her system, her fever dropped after the IV and she recovered fairly quickly. Good luck! I hope he feels better!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Liquids. Give him pedialight. If he is throwing everything up you do not want him to get dehydrated. Have him drink slowly. Call the doc and talk with a nurse. They can give you good advice over the phone. Most likely if you take him to the doctor they can just reassure you that it isnt anything more serious or anything you need an antibiotic for. It sounds like a stomach virus but I am not a doctor so the best advice can only come from them.
    queenfet

Answer by queenfet at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You should only give any child a fever reducer when their temp is above 102. Below that it negates the body's natural way of fighting illness, so only give a fever reducer if above 102 leave it alone lower than that. Make sure he is hydrated and let his body do its job.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Check with your doctor's office. If he's only throwing up when you give him something, don't give him anything for a bit. Give him only very small sips of pedialyte (or equivalent). Wait a while, and give him more if he keeps it down. As others said, odds are it's a virus and will run its course you just need to watch for dehydration which will occur faster if he's throwing up frequently.
    Anonymous

• Keep trying to give him liquids to keep him hydrated - stay away from milk and anything with a high acidity (like orange juice) and sugary drinks (like kool aid).

Also, I recommend all mommies get a Neat Sheet (www.neatsheet.com for retailers) - I use the neat sheet when my kids have stomach bugs - I put it under them where ever they lay - if they make a mess, it's easy to clean - washes quickly and dries in a hurry - it's always clean enough to use again before the next stomach bug "incident." I keep meaning to buy another one so I don't have to rush every time, but I keep forgetting since my kids haven't been sick in a while.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2010