3 day method of potty training

What age is a good age to do the 3 day method of potty training?? My son is 15 months and goes in the potty before bedtime, and stays dry during naps. He doesn't tell me he has to go yet, but usually if I put him on the potty he knows what to do. I know 15 months is young, but honestly most of us were trained by then back in the day :). Any suggestions or thoughts?? And if we do this method, should we never use pull ups?? I know I'm gonna be afraid to take him out at first.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what is a three day method??
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I don't know about the 3 day method but with both my girls until they recognize the signal to go, bar bottom, why do more laundry. When they get it I put them in the thick cloth undies from Gerber (Target, Babies r us) while at home. When we went out I used pull ups till I trusted her. It took about a week for my youngest and a month for my oldest. I still have plenty of cloth undies and extra pants to change her into and I know were the potty is in every store we go into. I take my youngest in to most stores and use the potty first just to make sure. She holds it for about 4 hours. I have her go about every 2 when out and about.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• If your son knows what to do on the potty, then i say go for it. We trained my daughter at 20 months within a week. I'm not sure if what we did was officially the "3-day method" but it worked. Here's how we did it.

We put her in underpants - NO PULL-UPS - they are glorified diapers if you ask me! We set a kitchen timer for 20 or 30 minutes. When it goes off, take them to the potty. If they go, reset the the timer for another 30 minutes. If not, just add 5 or 10 minutes to it and so on. After about 3 days, we didn't need the timer anymore and she would just tell us. Have some books and things to play with in the bathroom... sing songs while you sit and wait for him to go. There will definitely be messes to clean up, but it is worth it. Good luck, mama!

cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 7:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• 3 would probably be a good age. The age when they are ready any way.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I've read 2 years is the youngest they recommend for the 3-day method. You may want to look up some info on 'EC-ing' though. It stands for elimination communication, and is basically the same thing with less pressure.
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Attempting to potty train under the age of two puts unnecessary stress on the parent and child and can actually prolong the process. If he wants to go then by all means let him go but I think it's too early to be attempting a routine and actually expect him to potty train in a reasonable amount of time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2010