Toenail trimming??? Anyone have issues??

My son (now 10) cried holy heck when he was young, but nothing compared to my 4yr old daughter. she screams like ive never heard..... i thank goodness every day i dont live in a th/apartment.... someone would call social services!! I've tried getting her to do it with little assistance and bribery.... now i just have to resort to holding her down to do it!!! Anyone have similar probs and what worked???

MommaD2

Asked by MommaD2 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My two year old is the same way! I wish I had advice for you...I was actually thinking of posting a similar question. The child screams and flails, making it WAY HARDER than it has to be. I don't know why she gets so upset about it! Hope you gets some answers!
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 8:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My twins aren't big fans of getting their nails clipped either. We did resort to holding them down but then I tried something different.
    I had them sit in a comfy chair and gave them a new toy to distract them. (I keep the toys from McDonald's, Burger King etc. in a drawer in their room). I also tell them that I don't have to clip all the nails, just one or two. I don't know why but it's working.

A trick that I've used with my niece is to file her nails instead of using the clippers and then I treat her to some nail polish after. Perhaps a little pampering will be incentive enough. You could also tell her you'll take her to the salon to get her nails done but that she has to practice at home because she can't cry at the salon.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I do it when they are napping or in bed for the night lol, it works! :)
    MommaBear_0406

Answer by MommaBear_0406 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i go through the same thing with my 3 year old son, he screams,crys and moves all over i have to hold him down...
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I've never had that problem but, when our LO was younger we did it when he was asleep just because sometimes he'd move around too much when he was awake, I would try that.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:28 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• We have the same problem. we're very selective about the time of day we do it. He has to be in a good mood and not too tired or hungry. Distraction helps (my husband and I do it jointly often in front of the TV). We've also found that nail files or emery boards make it easier. Otherwise, one of us holds while the other clips.. Needless to say, we do this as infrequently as possible! Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I had the same problem with my, now 3 year old son. He's not crazy about it now, but much better. At first I had to tell him that if he would let me, he got fruit snacks or goldfish when we finished. It helped to do it right after his bath when the nails are a little softer. Good luck!!
    lrackley

Answer by lrackley at 9:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2010