my husband and i are trying to stop my daughter from using her binky. She is 8 m. old. She doesn't take it during the day, only to fall asleep. If she cries long enough I cave and give in to putting the binky in her mouth and taking it out once she is asleep. Is that normal? my husband says to let her cry herself to sleep and i CAN'T stand it!!! I always cave and put the binky in after like 5-10 minutes! She falls asleep instantly with the binky. Thoughts, PLEASE! :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd just let her use it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Throw the binky away, there goes temptation.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• She's only 8 months, and especially since it's only for sleeping - I would let her use it. But you making her cry, and then giving in to her isn't really doing any good. You need to pick one or the other and be consistent with your decision.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I took my son's binky at 18 months. Personally, I see nothing wrong with an 8 month old using one to sleep.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i think its great that she only uses it at night! i know some two year olds that need it all the time.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• let her use it.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 8:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My kids never took a binky, but I didn't try to break them of the habit of sucking their fingers or thumbs to sleep untili they were four years old.
    Syra3.14159

Answer by Syra3.14159 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I would just let her have it. I do the same thing with DD once she's asleep I take it out and put it on her pillow. She's 22 months old.
    Anonymous

• What's normal is to breastfeed.

Young children have strong sucking needs. If you are going to deprive them of the breast it is just plain mean to get them hooked on a pacifier when it is easy for you and then take it away. It is worse to let an infant cio.

Most experts agree pacifiers cause no harm until after age 3.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Maybe try putting your pinkie in her mouth to suck in order to fall asleep....once she is asleep, she may not wake when you remove your finger.

By the way, we waited until our ds was a year to take away the pacifier. He put up a BIG fuss for two night and naps...then totally forgot about it and fell asleep no problem....

So, if the finger thing doesn't work, maybe you need to let your hubby be in charge of baby for those couple of nights until your ds is off the binky. (It's okay....some parents really can't let their baby cry anything out...)

After a year can cause problems with formation of the inside of their mouths....ask any dentist.
    Anonymous