Does my DS have a mental disorder or is this normal?

My DS will be 7 in April. Lately when he gets mad about something he has started putting his hands around his neck saying he is going to kill himself. He also has threatened to get a knife and cut himself. I have asked him where he learned this kind of thing and my other DS said it is on a Star Wars game they have been playing. I have banned that game which I didn't want them to play anyway but DH let them. So I am wondering do I call a DR. or just see if not playing that game will help. There also is a family history with myself and my side of the family with mental health issues. I have depression. Someone please help!!

momof3boy41011

Asked by momof3boy41011 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That behavior is 110% NOT NORMAL! A not even 7 year old threatening to kill himself or cut himself needs medical attention ASAP. He needs to be evaluated and taken to a therapist. Talk to his doctor and see what he recommends you do.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Um, no. Your husband is an idiot and needs to be slapped for letting him play that game. He's not metal. Why are you so quick to blame a disease instead of your ignorant husband? Do you have any idea what that could do to your son? Really? Be a parent and teach your kid that that was just a game and not real life.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I find it hard to believe that there is something in the Star Wars game showing someone cutting themselves with a knife or choking themselves to death.
    Anonymous

• what game? my son loves star wars and i have never seen that in star wars?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• and to answer your question that is not normal
    shay1130

• I should add that if he didn't learn it there he probably learned it from another kid or your other kids. I don't think he has "mental disorder" but I don't think it's normal either. He's seven and has a big imagination. No need to have him be diagnosed with some frivolous disorder that's going to put him on meds for the rest of his life.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• How long has this self destructive behavior been going on? I would probably call a child psychologist and get him evaluated. As we know so little of your sons background, what all he has been exposed to, how you all as parents deal with disappointments its hard to say. There is nothing wron with getting an evaluation especially with your family history. I would talk with his teacher also and see how is behavior is in school. Good luck .

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You need to take him to the doctor yesterday that is not normal and he did not learn that on a star wars game we play all of those here at home and there is nothing in them about that.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Sara Thank you for your response but I don't really think it is necessary to call my Dh an idiot or ignorant. I know they should not be playing those games and they will no longer play them. I have tried to be very firm about what they watch and play. I agree that sometimes my husband needs to make better choices when it comes to that kind of thing but he is a very good parent in all other area's.
    momof3boy41011

Answer by momof3boy41011 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I don't think he learned from anyone at home I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. Now I don't know if it is something he learned at school. He is in a class with mostly boys and I know how boys can be. He has been doing this for maybe a month or so. As far as the game I don't know if it is in the game or not. I just don't like them to play any games where they are killing people. It is a xbox game. I do know that some of his school friends do play games such as Halo and I will NOT let them play that game. None of his teachers have raised any concerns.
    momof3boy41011

Answer by momof3boy41011 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2010