Do you know anyone who chooses not to read to their kids?

An ex friend of mine said she hated reading and did not read to her kids. Gasp! No bashers please. I have my opinion as you have yours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm under the impression that some of you who are having trouble reading to your young children are going about this the wrong way. If you have a grabby child then you sit in front of them while they face you and read the story that way. It really helps foster language also because when they see your mouth moving it helps them learn to speak. My son is nineteen months old and I read to him befoer nap and before bed at least one story. Normally we read the Dr.Seuss books which I love because they're fun to say and if you really pay attention most of them have a moral (Green Eggs and Ham for instance) but right now we are reading the Curious George series. My son loves to read he'll pretend to read all day long and he'll bring me some of his favorite books for me to read to him and then he'll "read" stories to me and point at the pictures and we just have a good time.
    Anonymous

• i don't like reading either. I know my son likes it though so i try to read him atleast one story every night
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I hate reading to my kids too... My DH reads to them more than I do, but I tend to read at least a story or two a day... That doesn't make me bad, I just hate reading that dribble they put in to kids books, but my kids are too young for the good stuff
    Anonymous

• My DD will not let me read to her so I don't, when she wants me to I will until then I am not going to force it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• as a parent it does not matter if you like or not, you do it because it is the best for your child!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY gammie. I mean c'mon whos the parent here lol
    Anonymous

• Some adults struggle with reading and there for do not read with their children. Unfortunately, their child will suffer because they are too ashamed to admit they have a problem.

For the person that said their children are too young for the "good stuff"....as long as the content isn't too adult, you can read ANYTHING to a child. My twins were 2 when we read Peter Pan, 3 when we read Alice in Wonderland. My daughter was 1.5 when I read her A Wrinkle in Time. It doesn't matter WHAT you read as long as you read.

As for the original question, To each their own in parenting style....that's what I say. But I'd personally quietly see if there's an underlying problem as in dyslexia, or not able to read....
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Unfortantly for me I love to read but my son can barely sit still long enough for me to read to him. I would gladly trade with moms for kids who like to listen to stories. :)
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 8:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I read a story or 2 to my kids every night. Studies have shown that it's super important to start reading as soon as possible beginning with infancy. I have 3 kids ages 3, 14 months and 6 weeks and when I read to them during the day I even put the baby on the floor with us.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My MIL gets her panties in a twist about it and she tries to make my DD sit with her and let her read to her and it just makes both of them angry, I read to her when she brings me a book, and stop once she starts fighting and ripping at the book. I read all the time so she sees good reading habits but just isn't into it yet and that is ok.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2010