is 4mnths too young?

my son is turing 4mnths old... is he too young to introduce rice cereal?

megan1089

Asked by megan1089 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies are ready for it at that age, some are not. If he eats a lot, I would say introduce it to him. Don't give it to him too thick at first, as he won't be used to it.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It is your decision but Dr will say wait till 6 months. It all has to do with allergy's.

Anonymous

• 4 months is often when people introduce rice cereal but beware that it is difficult and you may only get one serving in every few days for the first month then a little more, also rice cereal taste like crap so add a tad of fruit baby food to flavor it, and some babies like it thick some like it runny so experiment.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• yes. even docs say to wait till 6 months. only reason they give the go ahead to some parents is so they don't have to listen to them complain.
    Anonymous

• if you do, don't mix anything into it yet! babies don't care if it tastes like crap, their tastes buds haven't developed yet. they drink formula for goodness sake. the earlier you give them foods, the more chance there is for them to get allergic to something.
    Anonymous

• I'll be honest I started my son on rice cereal when he was two weeks old. It helped him sleep through the night. Doctors are not always in agreement when to start babies on solids even. My best guess is to go with your gut. start out slow and see how he handles it. You can also bring it up with your Doctor for the pros and cons.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 8:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My youngest granddaughter is 4 months, and she just had her check-up. The doc said no cereal until at least 6 months.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You should also be aware that rice cereal can cause constipation. i would do what the doctor says and just wait. She'll be fine she doesn't know the difference.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i dont know what doctors you people see these days but my pedi and a few other pedis of friends told us all to start baby food stage one at 3 months and i have been feeding my ds food since 2 1/2 months so if you think your baby can handle it take it slow and try it out wont hurt anything your baby will let you know...and some babies do know the difference my ds didnt want just formula anymore after 2 months and he would scream and scream and scream with the bottle in his mouth untill i started baby food now he is happy
    Anonymous

• Wow I"m scared of Anon:19's doctor!! Completely disregarding known nutritional information, disregarding the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations, etc....scary!!

Food allergies are hugely on the rise people, and it is becoming more and more common to have a RICE allergy. Babies guts are underdeveloped, they can't process the proteins in most foods until closer to 6 months of age or longer. If you want to risk it, go ahead, but I chose to follow the recommendations of the AAP and the leading researchers in the country! Babies don't need ANY solid food until age 1, breastmilk or formula is completely acceptable for the whole first year. Solids are for experimentation only. If your baby is hungry, feed them more formula or breastmilk. At the very least, wait til 6 months before adding solids, and rice cereal is definitely not needed and can cause more problems than it's worth.
    Anonymous